Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [TLS] Consultation About Assignment of ExtensionTypes

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:00:58 -0400

Bad news in TLS-land from a foolish ETSI standard (intentionally
breaking TLS end-to-end security for "authorized" middleboxes).

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 1:20 PM
Subject: [TLS] Consultation About Assignment of ExtensionTypes
To: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

Hi.

I’m posting this on behalf of the IANA experts for the TLS registries. The
IANA experts function is described in RFC  8447 [1].

We’ve received a request from ETSI to assign three ExtensionType values
from the ExtensionType registry [2]. ETSI is the European
Telecommunications Standards Institute [3]. Ordinarily requests from other
standards organizations are approved as long as they’re not in conflict
with current work within the IETF, and for the ExtensionType registry the
policy is “Specification Required”.  The reason we are consulting this time
is that we can foresee some objections should these assignments appear in
the IANA registry.

So the request is for a part 2 of the Middlebox Security Protocol [4].  You
can read it all, but the gist is a protocol between a TLS endpoint and a
TLS middlebox that allows the middlebox read, read+delete, or
read+delete+write access to the data stream. If this idea is giving you
déjà vu, then yes, the TLS working group has considered proposals in that
domain in the past, and to put in mildly, did not choose to take them up.

To re-iterate, the policy for the registry is “Specification Required” and
a specification is available. Unless we hear convincing arguments to the
contrary, we will approve this allocation. We just prefer to have the
kerfuffle before the assignment rather than afterwards.

Thanks

Yoav
(with the IANA expert hat on)

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8447
[2]
https://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-extensiontype-values/tls-extensiontype-values.xhtml#tls-extensiontype-values-1
[3] https://www.etsi.org/about
[4]
https://docbox.etsi.org/CYBER/CYBER/Open/Latest_Drafts/CYBER-0027-2v020-TLMSP-Transport-Layer-Middlebox-Security-Protocol.pdf

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp