Subject: Protocol Action: IPsec Configuration Policy Model to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:08:17 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Drafts 
* 'IPsec Configuration Policy Information Model'
	 <draft-ietf-ipsp-config-policy-model-07.txt>
* 'IP Security Policy Requirements'
	 <draft-ietf-ipsp-requirements-02.txt>
as a Proposed Standard. These documents are products of the IP Security 
Policy Working Group. The IESG contact persons are R. Housley and Steve 
Bellovin.

Technical Summary
 
These documents specify a policy framework, model, and PIB for IPsec.
RFC 2401 provides for complex "selectors" that describe what traffic
is to be encrypted, and under what conditions. These documents
provide a mechanism for specifying the policy, and for configuring
endpoints to use this policy.

Working Group Summary

There was debate about whether or not to use PIBs -- and then
discussion about the IESG's policy regarding PIBs and standards
track.

Protocol Quality

This protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Steve Bellovin.