Subject: [[email-masked]: The IPSEC MIB documents]

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:09:27 -0400

FYI, since the ipsp working group is likely interested in what happens
with the doi-tc-mib document.

						- Ted

-- 
To: [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: The IPSEC MIB documents
From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Phone: (781) 391-3464
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:49:46 -0400

There seems to be very little interest within the IPSEC working group
towards completing many of the IPSEC MIB documents.  To that end, after
consulting with the relevant wg chairs and I-D authors, Barbara and I
propose the following path forward:

1)  That the following I-D's be dropped as IPSEC wg work items:

        draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-monitor-mib
        draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-di-mon-mib
        draft-ietf-ipsec-monitor-mib
        draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib

2) Since the IPSP working group has an I-D (draft-ietf-ipsp-ipsec-conf-mib)
    ready for advancement to RFC status which has a dependency on the 
    draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib document, that this document be
    reassigned to the IPSP working group for completion to support their
    work.  Alternatively, the wg authors of ipsec-conf-mib may decide
    that is more suitable to lift the necessary sections out of the
    doi-tc-mib and simply drop it into their document.  That decision
    should be left up to them.

3) That the draft-ietf-ipsec-flow-montioring-mib and
    draft-ietf-ipsec-flowmon-mib-tc documents should be modified to
    document exactly what is currently being shipped and deployed by
    various vendors, and then published as informational RFC's.  

In the future, there will no doubt be a need to create MIB's for IKEv2
protocol.  It is the our opinion as working group chairs that it will
probably be better to create a new working group to take on this task.
Hopefully this new working group will be able to focus only on this
task, and will be able to attract the necessary people with the
interest, time, and expertise to craft the necessary MIB documents.
This work might use the current IPSEC MIB documents as a base, or they
may decide that it is better to start from a clean slate --- that
decision should be left up a future working group.

                                        - Ted and Barbara