Subject: [IPTEL] More 2806bis: ISDN subaddresses to be removed

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:34:27 -0500

Unless somebody steps forward and claims use, ISDN subaddresses are also
on the way out.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:16:56 -0800

And also IPv4 addresses ?...for devices at the edge of the net...?

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB
http://www.IPv8.info

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:09:50 -0500

We're using them. Let me check with our implementers about whether this
is critical.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henning 
> G. Schulzrinne
> Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:34 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Unless somebody steps forward and claims use, ISDN 
> subaddresses are also on the way out.
> -- 
> http://lists.bell-> labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel
>

---

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:00:15 -0500

We do not use them currently in tel URLs, but we DO have VoIP products that
use them and could need them in tel URLs in the future.  I have not been
personally involved with them but as I understand it, in some regions (e.g.,
Japan) they are used to address multiple devices on a single BRI line in a
home or office.  In such an environment, they would be needed to allow
addressing only the desired device (e.g., voice phone and avoid getting fax
machine).  Our VoIP products can currently be configured to  accept PSTN
calls only if the correct subaddress is set, but do not currently place IP
calls specifying a subaddress but may want to in the future.

Why do we want to remove the feature?

--

------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:31:31 -0500

Thanks for the feedback. The general problem is that any feature that
isn't used by two implementations has to go for elevation to Draft
Standard. For now, I'm leaving it in the draft, in the hope that
sufficient actual implementations will materialize.