Subject: [IPTEL] 2806bis: phone-context

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:04:15 -0500

The phone-context parameter does appear to be used, judging from private
email. One possibility would be to use IANA enterprise numbers for
labeling. They are free and short. (We just got one for Columbia a few
weeks ago; took about 10 minutes to fill out the form and a week to get
the number.) See
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/enterprise-numbers

Thus, something like

;phone-context=11862.cs (with CS being the department)

would label the number within the Dept. of Computer Science at Columbia.
Domain names are another possibility, but these dialing plans are not
really DNS domains, so this is rather artificial. In any event, an
entity would have to be programmed with a list of names to recognize.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel