Subject: Re: [IPTEL] carrier codes in draft-rs-trip-gw-03.txt

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:23:45 -0700

Scott, Bob, Michael, et. al.

 From the perspective of a current operator with over xx  VoIP carrier 
interconnects running traffic, we (the current operators)  have been 
solving the problem with our respective DIAL-PEER prefix management.

This approach is somewhat of a pain to maintain, but current practice seems 
to muddle along without use of externally "blessed" numbering 
schemes.  These prefix numbers are unique to specific gateway-gateway or 
gateway-gatekeeper pairs.  They are, therefore, cryptic enough to maintain 
"proprietary information" boundaries that would be exposed if a public 
COUNTRY/CIC
code plan were mandatory.

That brings up a HUGE issue of how to deal with the thousands of 
"un-official" operators in the international (and domestic) VoIP community 
who quite freely interact with the "official" carriers of the world.   As a 
protocol development group, we do not want to fall into the middle of that 
muddle!

..mike..

===========================================================
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:50:06 -0400 (EDT)
X-UIDL: !:f"!paQ!!nF]!!F8j"!

it seems that the IANA should not be recording values that someone
else assigns since they will get out of sync

Scott

San Diego, HQ Office:     +1 858 720 8000    Fax: +1 858 259 2868
San Diego, Home Office: +1 858 689 1248    Fax: +1 858 689 1248

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel