Subject: RE: [Isms] RE: Network management authorization

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:38:00 -0500

> (Of course, the fact
> that Bernard Aboba claimms EUSM does things with RADIUS that are
> forbidden by the RADIUS protocol doesn't help its case a lot.)

I'm not sure I remember that posting.  It may well have to do with the
fact that RADIUS is not an authenticated key management service.  There
are IDs proposing to add that kind of service to RADIUS.  They are
currently considered out-of-scope of the RADEXT WG, because that WG's
charter explicitly excludes new security methods for RADIUS.

Having said that, RADIUS, using EAP methods, has been used as the AAA
system behind the authenticated key management system in IEEE 802.11i
wireless LANs. 

There has also been some discussion of changes to RADIUS to make it FIPS
compliant (whatever that turns out to mean), and the RADEXT charter
might be revised at some point when NIST has given definitive guidance
on this subject, and sufficient progress has been made on WG
deliverables and milestones, to warrant a charter revision.  Too soon to
predict...

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:46:32 -0500

Hi,

Bernard made the comment to me over a drink. I'm not sure I understood
his concern, and don't recall what it was now.
I know he had a concern, and when Bernard raises a concern about how
RADIUS is used, I listen (but don't always remember). 
Hopefully, he can enlighten us.

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Nelson, David
> Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Isms] RE: Network management authorization
> 
> 
> > (Of course, the fact

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:58:44 -0500

Hi,

As I dredge my memory on this point, it may have been the EAP usage
Bernard had concerns with. 

dbh