Subject: [Isms] TLS Inner Application Extension

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:39:29 +0200

hi all, 

may i draw your attention to the following document that might be relevant
for your work:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-funk-tls-inner-application-extensi
on-01.txt

as a short summary: it integrates the extensible authentication protocol
(eap) into the tls handshake.

i personally think that this provides much better properties than the
proposal of carrying sasl over tls (as proposed in 
<draft-schoenw-snmp-tlsm-01.txt>). 

ciao
hannes

ps: when reading <draft-schoenw-snmp-tlsm-01.txt> i recognized that tls-psk
<draft-ietf-tls-psk-07.txt> is not mentioned.
i would, however, fit quite nicely into the whole picture. 

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:12:10 -0400

>>>>> "Tschofenig" == Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]> writes:

    Tschofenig> hi all, may i draw your attention to the following
    Tschofenig> document that might be relevant for your work:
    Tschofenig> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-funk-tls-inner-application-extensi
    Tschofenig> on-01.txt

    Tschofenig> as a short summary: it integrates the extensible
    Tschofenig> authentication protocol (eap) into the tls handshake.

    Tschofenig> i personally think that this provides much better
    Tschofenig> properties than the proposal of carrying sasl over tls
    Tschofenig> (as proposed in <draft-schoenw-snmp-tlsm-01.txt>).

Note that I'm likely to have the same EAP applicability concerns about
this document as I did about the original EUSM proposal.  Clearly if
scoped within eap-tls or something like that this would be a
reasonable proposal, but I do not thing it is reasonable as a solution
for all cases where TLS is applicable.