Subject: [Isms] updated preference stats

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:22:32 -0400

Summarizing again, from recent responses. As before, let me know if I've
mis-characterized your opinion. Summarizing 13 responses (details further
below):

Keying|      For             | Against | Abstain
------+----------------------+---------+-------------
OOB   |  6 (4 Yes, 2 Maybes) |  3 No   | 4 no comment
IB    |  8 (6 Yes, 2 Maybe)  |  1 No   | 4 no comment
EK    | 10 (5 Yes, 5 Maybe)  |  0 No   | 3 no comment

So it appears that encapsulated keying has the broadest support,
even though 50% of that support is as a second choice. Out of band
keying appears to have the most opponents (though may people just stated a 1st
preference and (mostly) acceptable alternative, and not outright opposition to
the 3rd choice).

Key:  Y=YES/preference    (y=second pref/implied pref)
      M=MAYBE/second pref (m=implied second pref)
      N=NO
      -=no explicit rejection (no comment)

OOB | IB  | EK  | Name (alphabetical by first name)
----+-----+-----+----------------------------------
 N  |  N  |  Y  | David Harrington
 -  |  y  |  -  | David Perkins
 N  |  Y  |  M  | Ira McDonald
 M  |  -  |  Y  | Juergen Schoenwaelder
 Y  |  M  |  -  | Kaushik Narayan
 Y  |  -  |  -  | Marcus Leech
 Y  |  -  |  M  | Martin Soukup
 N  |  Y  |  M  | Robert Story
 m  |  y  |  Y  | Sam Hartman
 Y  |  -  |  m  | Sharon Chisolm
 -  |  M  |  Y  | Tom Petch
 -  |  Y  |  Y  | Uri Blumenthat
 -  |  Y  |  M  | Wes Hardaker

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:30:06 -0700

>>>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:22:32 -0400, Robert Story <[email-masked]> said:

Robert> Keying|      For             | Against | Abstain
Robert> ------+----------------------+---------+-------------
Robert> OOB   |  6 (4 Yes, 2 Maybes) |  3 No   | 4 no comment
Robert> IB    |  8 (6 Yes, 2 Maybe)  |  1 No   | 4 no comment
Robert> EK    | 10 (5 Yes, 5 Maybe)  |  0 No   | 3 no comment

I think the consensus is fairly well down to 2 (OOB being
no-conensus).  The other two (IB and EK) are, unfortunately, so of
hard to figure out which is preferred.  Unfortunately, I think either
could be viewed as consensus (IB has more direct support for it, but
some complaints at the same time; EK has no complaints against it
(which, as I said, says a lot) but doesn't have as many first-choices
for.

So the question to the chairs is, do you guys see us being closer to
consensus on some of this issue or not?  If so, does one of the two
resulting ones look closer than the other or should we narrow the
discussion to see what happens from there?  I'm getting worried about
time frames (again) and think we need to move forward.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:56:13 -0700

...

Robert> So it appears that encapsulated keying has the broadest support,
Robert> even though 50% of that support is as a second choice.

It's potentially even more important that no one has voted against
it.  It's often in the IETF the consensus is not what everyone wants,
but the solution that is the one everyone can at least live with.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.