Subject: [Isms] USM Protection vs Transport Protection

From: Kaushik Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:48:41 -0700

Hi All,

Having gone through the discussion of architectural
choices, I think the first decision that we might want
to make is whether we need continue to use USM for
message protection vs. using some other protection
mechanism such as the transport protection suggested
by TLSM.

regards,
   kaushik!

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:47:53 -0700

>>>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:48:41 -0700, Kaushik Narayan <[email-masked]> said:

Kaushik> Having gone through the discussion of architectural choices,
Kaushik> I think the first decision that we might want to make is
Kaushik> whether we need continue to use USM for message protection
Kaushik> vs. using some other protection mechanism such as the
Kaushik> transport protection suggested by TLSM.

I very much agree that discussion is needed.  However, I'm not sure
we've "gone through the discussion of architectural choices" yet.  I
think we're at the 95% or so mark yet...  I'm kinda hoping the chairs
will say something soon on their views of where we are.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

---

From: Kaushik Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:35:59 -0700

Hi Wes,

Please find my reply inline.

<snipped>

>will say something soon on their views of where we are.

I was actually referring to the fact that we have had a long drawn
out discussion about keying without really any consensus. I still
see folks expressing interest in each of the keying approaches.

We believe that it might be much easier for the WG to move forward
once we can make a decision on the type of protection. for e.g. If we
decide to use transport protection, i.e. choose a transport layer protocol,
such as TLS for SNMPv3 protection then next steps are pretty straight
forward. Alternatively if we choose to use USM (native SNMP security)
for protection of SNMPv3,  then our choices between using in-band or
out-of-band keying and most security protocols can be made to work
either ways.

regards,
   kaushik!