Subject: [Isms] Issue#5: Do Informs work correctly?

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:26:26 -0500

>From Jeff Case:
(from message forwarded to WG by JS on 1/10)

"i mention this because the experience with the project
    causes me to question one of the draft's fundamental
    tenets -- that you can do what you want to do without being
    forced to compromise anything in arch, v3mp, and/or usm

    in particular, while your design probably works flawlessly for
    gets and sets, and might work for traps as well, it would
    be helpful if you could explain to me how informs work in
    a way that is consistent with the above specs
    (yes, i read and reread page 15 several times including the
    waffle words found therein but maybe i am just dense and/or
    missed something somewhere else)"

We never got Jeff to elaborate further. 
So the WG should look at Informs in STD62, and determine how they
differ from all other operations.
We know USM differs in its handling of Informs; are there non-USM
differences?
Then look at the EOP in tmsm, and verify that informs work
appropriately. 

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:47:59 +0100

> Then look at the EOP in tmsm, and verify that informs work

Can someone please volunteer to check the TMSM EoP against the
relevant sections in the STD62 documents that deal with notifications
and in particular with informs? Perhaps one of the authors of the
STD62 document is hanging around and can help us out here?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		 Jacobs University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	 P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:13:16 -0800

>>>>> "DH" == David Harrington <[email-masked]> writes:

DH> We know USM differs in its handling of Informs; are there non-USM
DH> differences?

The contexntEngineID?
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.