Subject: [Isms] IJRM Marketing and Health Special Issue due date

From: "Editors IJRM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:10:41 +0200

Announcement/REMINDER

Please be reminded that the submission deadline for the IJRM special issue
on Marketing and Health is September 1, 2007. Please see below the original
announcement for further information.

Papers should be submitted either at  http://ees.elsevier.com/ijrm or per
email to [email-masked].
.

Thank you very much.

****************************************************************************
*************************************************

Announcement

IJRM/MSI Special Issue on Health and Marketing

With the growing aging of the world population, health has become a pressing
issue. Many developed countries spend around 15% of their GDP on health. The
OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) has estimated
that the annual increase in per capita spending on health across its member
countries has outstripped overall economic growth by approximately 70% over
the last three decades. 
	A new field is developing within marketing that investigates
"marketing of health". Several factors drive the development of this field.
First, it is highly relevant to society at large, given that many people
deal with health issues every day, either as a professional, patient, or
manager. Marketing of health influences people's day-to-day lives. Second,
government plays an important role in regulating the health and life
sciences industry, thus health marketing research can have strong public
policy implications. Third, given the government's involvement in
regulation, many processes at the patient-, physician-, provider-, company-
or market-level are reliably and continuously documented. This provides the
availability of high-quality databases. Fourth, given the size of the
industry, resources for supporting research are available. The familiarity
with experimentation in this industry also provides behavioral researchers
with a potentially enabling research context. Fifth, initial work shows that
these markets may be driven by mechanisms that do not exist in other
markets, such as residual ambiguity and the unique patient-payer-provider
channel, to mention two of the most prominent ones.
	As these trends can only seem to strengthen in the next decade,
marketing of health promises to become a very fruitful area of research. To
foster its early development, the International Journal of Research in
Marketing (IJRM) and the Marketing Science Institute (MSI) have decided to
sponsor a special issue of IJRM on this topic.
IJRM/MSI invites people with diverse backgrounds (modeling, strategy and
behavior) to submit papers for this special issue. 

Specific topics of interest include:
1.	Emotional and cognitive responses to disease and treatment;
2.	Information search and learning by patients and care providers
(including how this varies with health status, age, etc.);
3.	Effectiveness of marketing instruments:
a.	Advertising: print to physicians as well as DTC;
b.	Pricing: co-payment, capping costs of life saving treatment (what is
a year's life worth? who will pay for customized treatments?)
c.	Promotion: who to target, where, with what information and for what
drug?
d.	Mix of marketing instruments: when to use which instrument and how
much of it?
4.	Launch and diffusion of new treatments;
5.	Patient relationship management (e.g., life time value, patient
compliance to therapy);
6.	Prescription behavior of physicians and dispensing behavior of
pharmacists;
7.	Analyses of the physician-payer-provider channel (e.g., insurance,
HMO) and the shifting role of the patient;
8.	Innovation generation in life sciences;
9.	Inter-firm cooperation in health;
10.	Branding in health markets;
11.	Preventative health/wellness versus treatment/cure.

While I welcome papers from all geographic areas, I would like to request
authors, given the international character of both IJRM and MSI, to pay
particular attention to describing the relevant country context (since
regulation is an important factor in this industry and regulation is
country-specific). Country-by-country comparisons are of special interest.

In terms of timing, submissions for the special issue are due September 1,
2007. Submissions will go through the regular IJRM review process (although
I will likely use a specific set of guest AE's and reviewers), with a
response to the authors by December 1, 2007. A revised paper, when
requested, will be due by March 15, 2008. The authors will be notified of
final acceptance by June 1, 2008. If further minor revisions are necessary,
the final paper will be due August 1, 2008. The special issue will appear in
print as the last issue of 2008, or the first issue of 2009. MSI and IJRM
may consider organizing a meeting to feature the papers under consideration
for the special issue.

Papers can be submitted at any time until September 1, 2007 to:

Stefan Stremersch
Erasmus University Rotterdam
H15-06
Burg. Oudlaan 50
3062 PA Rotterdam
The Netherlands
E-mail: [email-masked]

Or at : http://ees.elsevier.com/ijrm

Please mention that it is a submission for the special issue. Also, given
that I aim to make a decision in the first, if not definitely in the second
round, please polish your submissions as much as possible. If you are not an
experienced or native English speaker, please consider using a copy-editor.
If you have questions, please contact me at the above e-mail address.

>From the editor: Stefan Stremersch

****************************************************************************
***
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms