Subject: Re: [Isms] ssh authn

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:18:09 -0800

>>>>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:41:41 -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]> said:

>> sentence 1 talks about server authn, which I assume means RFC4253.
>> sentences 2-4 talk about user authn, which I assume means RFC4252
>> sentence 5 talks about server authn, which I assume means RFC4253.

JH> The distinction between the different SSH documents is largely opaque
JH> to SNMP, which operates at a higher layer.

I agree...  The text that is present currently is merely documenting how
to pass information to the SSH layer that in needs.  It's up to the SSH
layer to decide how to use that information when communicating with the
remote (SSH server) side, which depends on system configuration.  We've
deliberately not discussed how to do certain types of authentication
with the remote side and are depending on system-specific config for
authentication configuration (and other SSH configuration too).

JH> I think it's quite clear and meaningful the way it is.

I agree, I think the current text is fine.  That being said, I think
Juergen's new text is just fine too since it says pretty much the same
thing.
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.