Subject: Re: [Isms] snmp: URI scheme transport extensions

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:49:15 -0400

--On Monday, July 27, 2009 09:29:24 AM +0200 Juergen Schoenwaelder 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while doing some SNMP during vacation, I did run into an issue with
> the snmp: URI scheme defined in RFC 4088. When RFC 4088 was created,
> we excluded transport information from SNMP service URIs. Now, with
> the presence of much more transports, it would be really nice to have
> the URI format supporting transport parameters, e.g.
>
>      snmp://[email-masked]:5161;transport=ssh
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                                          new
>
> I would be willing to work on this because I need it for some tools;
> perhaps this work should be hosted at OPSAWG? I obviously forgot to
> bring this up while ISMS was rechartering. But the transports we have
> to provision extend ISMS transports anyway so OPSAWG might be a good
> choice. Anyway, at this point in time, I just bring this up to see
> whether there is interest to work this out or it is just me.

The traditional way to handle this seems to be to specify new URI schemes, 
like snmps (for tls) and snmpssh (for ssh).