Subject: [Isms] Protocol Action: 'Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)' to Draft Standard

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:52:41 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) '
  RFC 5590 as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5590.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines a Transport Subsystem, extending the Simple
   Network Management Protocol (SNMP) architecture defined in RFC 3411.
   This document defines a subsystem to contain Transport Models that is
   comparable to other subsystems in the RFC 3411 architecture.  As work
   is being done to expand the transports to include secure transports,
   such as the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol and Transport Layer Security
   (TLS), using a subsystem will enable consistent design and modularity
   of such Transport Models.  This document identifies and describes
   some key aspects that need to be considered for any Transport Model
   for SNMP.

Working Group Summary

   There was nothing worth noting during the WG or IETF LCs.

Document Quality

   An implementations report can be found at:
  
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc5343-5590-5591-5953.txt

Personnel

   Russ Mundy is the Document Shepherd.
   Sean Turner is the Responsible Area Director.