Subject: [its] SmartCity and ITS, SmartCity and infrastructure-less V2V

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:12:20 +0100

Hello Abdussalam,

You suggested the SmartCity use case.

May I ask you, and participants to the ITS email list, which part ot the
SmartCity is relevant to ITS?

Do you see a gap between existing protocols and SmartCity use case?
Which protocols should we work on, and how?

I am trying to understand whether SmartCity may consider
vehicle-to-vehicle communications without assistance of infrastructure?
(because SmartCity itself sounds like being the infrastructure)?

Alex

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:58:30 +0100

Hi Alex,

ITS is about transportation systems and I think SmartCities will not
be smart if it does not have ITS. People/citisens need to use the ITS
to make their own decisions to choose
transport-vehicle/travel-place/travel-time/etc or to wait for other
opportunities. The beauty of the current and future SmartCities is
that they are including both infrastructure and infrastructureless, so
the ITS needs both. My comment below;

> SmartCity is relevant to ITS?

The transportation services parts, we only consider past transports,
current, and future, to help make thoes communications better.

> Which protocols should we work on, and how?

Yes I see gap because the IETF existing protocols (still general) does
not involve applicability and intelligence of transportation services.
Existing protocols are about separate IETF areas, but the ITS WG has
included cross areas as you mentioned related WGs in the charter. We
will have to define in our drafts.

> (because SmartCity itself sounds like being the infrastructure)?

SmartCity is about the cities M2M, ITS is about using it for such
services, SmartCities is not only about infrastructure. Regarding V2V
it is part of the M2M coomunication, but we only focus our standards
on the part of SmartCities that are for transportation use-cases.

Abdussalam Baryun
University of Glamorgan, UK