Subject: Re: [its] "OVERBROAD PATENT ON IN-FLIGHT/IN-CAR NETWORKING"

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:51:44 +0200

Hello Alison and thanks for the pointer.

(there is an error in that stackexchange page, because it refers wrongly
to US 20130159435 A1.  The right reference is US 20130159586 A1
"Motor vehicle control system with simplified information exchange".)

I didnt even know that CAN messages would be able to embed HTTP messages.

For the particular vehicular gateway I am working with, although it does
use HTTP and CAN, it doesn't embed a HTTP message in a CAN message;
rather it extracts the data from the HTTP request, thinks about it, and
constructs a pure CAN request.

I dont see why would one embed a full HTTP request into a CAN message?
Is any device connected on CAN able to run HTTP software yet has no
Ethernet plug (that would be surprising)?  If not, then rather contact
the device via its Ethernet plug.

That is from the point of view of V2I (the infrastructure sends some
request to a device in the vehicle).

And from the V2V perspective... there exists prototyping about
transmitting a vehicle's CAN data to another vehicle nearby.  That may
happen as well with HTTP.  However, it wouldn't be with Ethernet but
with bluetooth between vehicles, with a CAN Module with Bluetooth
interface.  For these contexts the same reasoning would apply: contact
the HTTP server via the IP-enabled bluetooth interface, rather than on
CAN interface.

Alex

Le 01/08/2013 00:58, Alison Chaiken a écrit :
> http://patents.stackexchange.com/questions/4624/vehicle-networking-http-to-can-bus-gateway-lear-patent-application-prior
>