Subject: [its] geonet Charter proposal 03

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 23:40:09 +0100

Hello ITSers,

Please see below the proposed Charter for geonet/ITS BoF.

Alex
---------------------------------------------------------------------
			GeoNet/ITS BoF at IETF
			   Charter Proposal
			  November 4th, 2013
		 http://ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

Internet-Wide GeoNetworking for Vehicular Communications (GeoNet/ITS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Status: BoF

Chairs:
   Margaret Wasserman/Melinda Shore
   Alexandru Petrescu

Assigned Area Director:
   Ted Lemon

Mailing list
   Address: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
   Archive:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/its/current/maillist.html

Additional web page, old
   http://www.lara.prd.fr/ietf-its

Draft Charter Proposal:

Context
-------
The group is concerned with Internet-wide geonetworking.

Internet-wide Geo-Networking is a location-aware solution that
provides packet delivery using geographical coordinates for packet
dissemination over the Internet.

The challenges associated with Internet-wide Geonetworking that can be
addressed by IETF are:
o support of geographical addressing: geographical information should
   be available in the addressing mechanism;
o support of Internet-wide geo-routing: data packets are forwarded
   over multiple hops by using geographical position of destination
   node(s);
o precision in representing geographical areas.

Two main scenarios are:
o Environmental Monitoring involves querying devices such as sensors
   located in specific geographic areas, for applications such as fire
   hazard prevention.
o Vehicular networking used in Intelligent Transportation Systems
   (ITS) is required to offer a myriad of applications related to
   vehicles, vehicle traffic, drivers, passengers and pedestrians.

Open design issues to be addressed by IETF are:
o Geo-addressing in the wired Internet: standard Internet routers are
   not aware of geo-networking functionality: the addresses used must
   be regular addresses that are topologically correct and can be
   routed to / via the first geo-aware access router, e.g. a Road-Side
   Unit.
o Geo-routing forwarding from source node to the correct immediate
   geo-aware access router, e.g., RSU, (over existing Internet)
o Exchanging/communicating destination area information
o Lookup and translation of destination (geographical) area to IP
   address
o Updating the location database

Security aspects will be considered: influence of the absence of
link-layer security in the operation outside the context of a BSS
(IEEE 802.11p), security of multicast distribution, authenticity of
routing message exchanges, and more.

The WG will consider and, if necessary - profile, existing IPv6
network protocols: LoST, geopriv WG results, MANET protocols, ICMPv6,
MLDv2, DNS.

Several Standards Development Organizations external to IETF work
towards developing protocols for vehicular communications.  In some
cases IP protocols are used for transport, in other cases IP protocols
are modified for purposes particular to vehicular communications.  The
WG will survey the following extra-IETF groups: IEEE 802.11 TGp, IEEE
P1609, ETSI TC ITS Networking Group, ISO TC204 WG16, GENIVI Network
Experts Group, AUTOSAR Work Package A2, IPSO.  When possible, liaisons
will be established with these organizations.

Work Items
----------
Problem statement, use cases, scenarios and requirements of using
geonetworking for vehicular communications, as well as Internet-wide
geonetworking.

Practices and gap analysis for geonetworking for IP vehicular
communications: document practices for the deployment of existing IP
protocols and identify any limitation of the existing IP protocols to
fulfill the scenarios and requirements for geonetworking in IP
vehicular communications.

The use of IPv6 over 802.11p involving a minimum number of intermediary
layers.

Milestones:
   Sep 2013 - Submit individual draft on Internet-wide geonetworking
              problem statement. (done)
   Oct 2013 - Submit individual draft on the use of
              IPv6-over-802.11p link layer.
   Feb 2014 - Submit Internet-wide geonetworking requirements
   Jun 2014 - Submit Internet-wide geonetworking gap analysis
   Nov 2014 - Submit Internet-wide geonetworking framework/architecture
   Mar 2015 - Submit Internet-wide geonetworking protocol.