Subject: Re: [its] GeoNet/ITS Charter proposal 02 - please comment

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:09:28 +0100

Le 31/10/2013 13:41, Eliot Lear a écrit :
> My understanding, Alex, was that the IESG are looking for a broader
> applicability beyond ITS.  I'm also a little concerned that because the
> focus has shifted back toward ITS it has shifted away from
> GEOnetworking.  Stay focused.  Use ITS as a use case.
>
> Eliot

Ok, see below the new version, please comment.

Alex

			GeoNet/ITS BoF at IETF
			   Charter Proposal
			  November 3rd, 2013
		 http://ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

Internet-Wide GeoNetworking for Vehicular Communications (GeoNet/ITS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Status: BoF

Chairs:
   Margaret Wasserman
   Alexandru Petrescu

Assigned Area Director:
   Ted Lemon

Mailing list
   Address: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
   Archive:
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/its/current/maillist.html

Additional web page, old
   http://www.lara.prd.fr/ietf-its

Draft Charter Proposal:

Context
-------
The group is concerned with Internet-wide geonetworking.  One
potential application is in the field of vehicular communications.

Internet-wide Geo-Networking is a location-aware forwarding protocol
that provides packet routing using geographical positions for packet
transport over the Internet.  Vehicular networking can be considered as
one of the most important enabling technologies required to implement
a myriad of applications related to vehicles, vehicle traffic,
drivers, passengers and pedestrians.

The challenges associated with Internet-wide Geonetworking that can be
addressed by IETF are:
o Geo-addressing in the wired Internet: standard Internet routers are
   not aware of geo-networking functionality: the addresses used must
   be regular addresses that are topologically correct and can be
   routed to / via the first geo-aware access router, e.g. a Road-Side
   Unit.
o Geo-routing forwarding from source node to the correct immediate
   geo-aware access router, e.g., RSU, (over existing Internet)
o Exchanging destination area information: destination area
   specification needs to be exchanged betzeen entities present at the
   first geo-aware access router
o Lookup and translation of destination (geographical) area to IP
   address
o Updating the location database

The vehicular platforms include: IP devices embedded in vehicles, such
as ruggedized units, IP-CAN gateways, sensors; mobile devices carried
by passengers; and fixed infrastructure units such as Internet-enabled
or non-Internet road-side units, electrical charging stations,
geo-broadcasting units.

The IP devices within a vehicle form an on-board IP network - likely
Ethernet - exhibiting a relatively stable structure.  On another hand,
the mobile vehicles and the fixed units may be stringed together and
further connected to the Internet by means of generic radio-WANs such
as cellular 4G, and of dedicated radio-LANs specific to vehicular
communications such as IEEE 802.11p.  Contrary to the stability of
individual on-board networks, the cellular and 802.11p links form more
volatile IP topologies as the vehicles move, and they have lower
capacity and higher noise than customary Ethernet and similar wired
links.

The use-cases are numerous.  Some relate to vehicular traffic
efficiency, traffic safety and to a lesser extent to on-board
infotainment and diagnostic-over-IP (DoIP).  An ability is needed to
disseminate IP packets to areas delimited by precise geographic
coordinates.  For example, a forward collision warning should be sent
to all vehicles on incoming lanes of same direction, but it is
worthless for the outgoing or on the reverse direction.  Another
example is an instrumented ambulance connected to the Internet; it
moves through a traffic jam and may signal its heading by multicasting
IP packets over IEEE 802.11p direct links within a range of a limited
radius; it also sends data about patient condition to the
hospital-based crew to ready the appropriate care units.  Event
advertising to vehicles passing near a museum, and remote diagnostic
of a localized damaged vehicle are other related use-cases.

Security aspects will be considered: influence of the absence of
link-layer security in the operation outside the context of a BSS
(IEEE 802.11p), security of multicast distribution, authenticity of
routing message exchanges, and more.

The WG will consider and, if necessary - profile, existing IPv6
network protocols: MANET protocols, ICMPv6, MLDv2, DNS.

Several Standards Development Organizations external to IETF work
towards developing protocols for vehicular communications.  In some
cases IP protocols are used for transport, in other cases IP protocols
are modified for purposes particular to vehicular communications.  The
WG will survey the following extra-IETF groups: IEEE 802.11 TGp, IEEE
P1609, ETSI TC ITS Networking Group, ISO TC204 WG16, GENIVI Network
Experts Group, AUTOSAR Work Package A2, IPSO.  When possible, liaisons
will be established with these organizations.

Work Items
----------
Problem statement, use cases, scenarios and requirements of using
geonetworking for vehicular communications, as well as Internet-wide
geonetworking.

Practices and gap analysis for geonetworking for IP vehicular
communications: document practices for the deployment of existing IP
protocols and identify any limitation of the existing IP protocols to
fulfill the scenarios and requirements for geonetworking in IP
vehicular communications.

The use of IPv6 over 802.11p involving a minimum number of intermediary
layers.

Milestones:
   Sep 2013 - Submit individual draft on Internet-wide geonetworking
              problem statement. (done)
   Oct 2013 - Submit individual draft on the use of
              IPv6-over-802.11p link layer.
   Feb 2014 - Submit individual drafts on Problem Statement, use cases,
              scenarios and requirements for geonetworking.
   Jun 2014 - Submit individual drafts on practices and gap analysis.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:50:00 +0000

Hi Alex,

Thanks for updating the charter!

Maybe some editorial changes might be needed, but in principle I am satsified with this updated charter!

Best regards,

Georgios

________________________________
Van: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] namens Alexandru Petrescu [[email-masked]]
Verzonden: zondag 3 november 2013 11:09
To: Eliot Lear
Cc: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [its] GeoNet/ITS Charter proposal 02 - please comment

Alex

                        GeoNet/ITS BoF at IETF
                           Charter Proposal
                          November 3rd, 2013

Chairs:
   Margaret Wasserman
   Alexandru Petrescu

Assigned Area Director:
   Ted Lemon

Mailing list
   Address: [email-masked]

Additional web page, old

Draft Charter Proposal:

Context
-------

Work Items
----------

Milestones:

_______________________________________________
its mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its