Subject: Re: [geonet/its] mobile access routers and geoaware intermediate routers

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 14:49:23 -0800

Wissingh, B.F. (Bastiaan)" <[email-masked]> writes:
>we designed a RSU that is portable meaning that among other
>things it¹s geographical position adjusts according to the location it is
>positioned. To show why this can be useful, we implemented a Road Works
>Warning application based on the ETSI DENM ASN.1 specification. So for
>example when at some location among a highway there is some ongoing Road
>Works, a surface man could take a Mobile RSU, position it on his car
>somewhere at the Road Works and start sending Road Works Warning messages
>with information about the Road Works.

Bastiaan, this is precisely the idea I referred to before with my
parade example.   There will undoubtedly be many reasons to deploy
mobile RSUs, notably temporarily when permanently installed units
fail.    The discussion touches again on the terminology aspect.    We
wish to call these units "road-side" because they play an
infrastructural role, and do not travel on roads while in service.
Nonetheless, they are mobile.    I'm concerned about the term
"road-side" in geonetworking applications, as "dock-side" and
"tethered overhead" are other equally valid and relevant as far as
infrastructural roles are concerned.

Unfortunately "infrastructure" is yet another overloaded term in the
current WiFi-related context.    Can we use "ad hoc" and
"infrastructure" for the purposes of this discussion, or will doing so
just result in more needless confusion?

Bastiaan, since you are from Netherlands, might you please point to a
reference about this recently completed Dutch connected car pilot:

http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1320201

Might you be able to provide download links for the two TNO "best
papers" from ITS World Congress:

http://www.itsworldcongress.jp/program/best/index.html

?

Best wishes,
Alison Chaiken

-- 
Alison Chaiken                           [email-masked]
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
It's a bug that cars were invented before computers.    -- Eric Schmidt

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:17:37 -0800

> Can we use "ad hoc" and

Nope, poor choice.  The longest running working group in IETF is MANET
which stands for Mobile Ad-hoc NETwork and has produced two protocols,
well sorta:
  - OLSR, Optimized Link State Routing, which is a pro-active protocol
-- even when idling, nodes are exchanging reachability information.
  - AODV, Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector, which is reactive -- then
network is converged only when it has traffic and only to the extent
that that particular traffic requires.  
     There are hybrids of these protocols; it's an active area.  

Some version of the MANET protocols will undoubtedly be required in
[ITS] applications so this would be an overload of terms certain to
cause a collision.

While I dislike the term RoadSide Unit, it's better than anything with
the term ad hoc in it.

---

From: Henry Ptasinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:33:37 -0800

In the case of e.g. roadside cleaning crews where the "Road Works" are moving slowly, do they still use a mobile RSU? Or do they switch to an OBU while in motion and back to an RSU whenever they come to a halt? Does "mobile RSU" really mean temporary RSU that does not ever move while in use?

>infrastructural roles are concerned.

---
Henry Ptasinski
[email-masked]
---
Henry Ptasinski
[email-masked]

---

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:24:51 -0800

Henry asks:
 Does "mobile RSU" really mean temporary RSU that does not ever move
while in use?

There are types of position (mobile and installed) and type of roles
(infrastructure and client, for lack of a better word).    A mobile
unit can be a client (like a car or fishing boat or camera) or a
mobile unit can be a data-gathering infrastructure unit (like an ITS
platoon leader in a designated lane, or a plane that collects data
from installed sensors in a forest).    An installed unit will be
infrastructural if it is an RSU transceiver, a loop detector or a
traffic light camera.   So I would say 3/4 of the boxes in the table
are populated, unless someone can think of an installed client.

-- Alison

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:08:57 -0500

In the interest of history, dhc and bmwg have been continuously 
chartered since 1989, manet in 1997.

Al
________________________________________
From: its [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rex Buddenberg [[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2013 8:17 PM
...