Subject: Re: [geonet/its] A possible geonet use-cas

From: Alison Chaiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:20:02 -0800

Henry asks:
>> Do you expect multiple layer-2 technologies to be integrated into a
>> single package tracking tag?

Couldn't the tags be passive RFID ones that the truck driver or
warehouse staff scan when the package leaves or enters their domain of
control?   I don't see why a object needs to have a transceiver with
an associated MAC in order to have an EID in the LISP scheme.

Thanks, Dino, for the clarifying example.

-- 
Alison Chaiken                           [email-masked]
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
It's a bug that cars were invented before computers.    -- Eric Schmidt

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:29:24 -0800

> an associated MAC in order to have an EID in the LISP scheme.

Well, this could be true. Think of a piece of merchandise sitting on a shelf. It is assigned a layer-3 EID address but never sends packets. It doesn't send packets, and as you say, doesn't require a MAC address, because maybe the RLOC device is a scanner, with a laser on it that finds the UPC code on the piece of merchandise. The laser scan returns the EID. The RLOC device registers its geo-tags with the EID to the mapping database.

Just another example to reiterate your point Alison.

Dino

> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

---

From: Henry Ptasinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:33:51 -0700

> an associated MAC in order to have an EID in the LISP scheme.

In one of the scenarios mentioned in the 802.11 meetings, the idea was
to track many packages as they're traveling within an automated sorting
facility.  An RFID approach would likely need a lot of tag readers,
whereas using active tags (wifi, bt, etc) would require far fewer
"readers" (APs, etc) making the overall facility design far less
complex.  But then there's the cost of the tags, battery life concerns, etc.

---
Henry Ptasinski
[email-masked]