Subject: [geonet/its] Scenarios with multiple communication network providers

From: Martin Florian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:03:17 +0100

Hi,

am I right to assume that discussions so far were centered only around
use-cases where the communication network is controlled by one singular
entity? Such scenarios don't map too well with the multi-AS structure of
the Internet. Are the solutions developed by Geonet envisioned to run
only within one organizational domain (AS)?

I could imagine, for example, applications where vehicular safety
warnings or advertisements need to be sent to all 3G/4G-enabled vehicles
in a given area, independently of which network operator they are using.
A straightforward solution is probably to broadcast such geographic
messages to all operators covering the target area. However, a
"geographic area -> network operator" mapping must be realized first as
well as mechanisms for maintaining it.

I couldn't attend the informal BoF meeting so please excuse me if this
issue was already raised before.

Kind Regards,
Martin

---

From: "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:23:36 +0000

Hi,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: its [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Martin Florian
> Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 17:03
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [geonet/its] Scenarios with multiple communication network
> providers
> 
> Hi,
> 

The answer is negative. 

The statement 

"Mechanisms and IETF protocols are needed for authorized source nodes
anywhere in the Internet to disseminate packets to other nodes in
areas described by geographic parameters, while respecting the privacy
concerns of sender and receiver."

makes this clear I think since the Internet is by def. multi-AS.
 
Thanks,
-dimitri.
> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its