Subject: [its] Updated I-D on "Problem Statement for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Networking"

From: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 08:17:14 +0900

Hi all,
I have posted a revised its I-D:
- Title
   Problem Statement for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure Networking

- File
   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jeong-its-v2i-problem-statement-02

- Abstract
   This document specifies the problem statement for IPv6-based vehicle-
   to-infrastructure networking.  Dedicated Short-Range Communications
   (DSRC) is standardized as IEEE 802.11p for the wireless media access
   in vehicular networks.  This document addresses the extension of IPv6
   as the network layer protocol in vehicular networks and is focused on
   the networking issues in one-hop communication between a Road-Side
   Unit (RSU) and vehicle.  The RSU is connected to the Internet and
   allows vehicles to have the Internet access if connected.  The major
   issues of including IPv6 in vehicular networks are neighbor discovery
   protocol, stateless address autoconfiguration, and DNS configuration
   for the Internet connectivity over DSRC.  Also, when a vehicle and an
   RSU have an internal network, respectively, the document discusses
   the issues of the internetworking between the vehicle's internal
   network and the RSU's internal network, such as prefix discovery,
   prefix exchange, and service discovery.

In this draft, we reflected the comments from IETF95 ITS BoF meeting and
included Service Discovery as a new section.

We can use it for "ITS General Problem Area" that is one of work items in
our its group: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/its/trac/

It will be great for you to take a look at this I-D and give us comments or
suggestions.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Paul
-- 
===========================
Mr. Jaehoon (Paul) Jeong, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Software
Sungkyunkwan University
Office: +82-31-299-4957
Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Personal Homepage: http://iotlab.skku.edu/people-jaehoon-jeong.php
<http://cpslab.skku.edu/people-jaehoon-jeong.php>

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 07:45:10 +0200

Although AutoSAR has added support for IPv6 (e.g. v4.2.2), many auto 
OEMs are still only planning on using IPv4 for the internal networks.  
In fact, for some, a given device will have the same MAC and IPv4 
address in all vehicles.  ARP, DHCP and related protocols will be locked 
down and not run, being considered a security risk.  IPv6 will only be 
used in the DSRC and TCP components, and perhaps the Infotainment VM(s) 
with strong SELinux policies to prevent bleed-over to the control (e.g. 
safety) VLANs.

Don't think that an internal breaking control ECU will have IPv6 
connectivity through the DSRC.  All messaging to the ECU will be 
app-leveled firewalled in the DSRC (and TCP).  Even there, there is 
concern about compromised DSRC interacting inappropriately with ECUs.

Thus, for example, the MAC bridging table in the CGM would allow traffic 
from the safety network(s) to the DSRC MAC, but not the other way.  You 
may listen, but not directly control.  Tell the CGM what emergency steps 
are needed.  It will tell the OEMC which will tell the ECU (I think I 
have all the generic component acronyms right...).  Or the CGM will 
generate the CAN message to the appropriate CAN device (OEMC could do 
this as well through the CGM to CAN).

It is considered a serious security risk to have direct addressing from 
outside, whether DSRC, TCP, WiFi, or USB, to ECUs.

On 07/20/2016 01:17 AM, Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong wrote:
> We can use it for "ITS General Problem Area" that is one of work items 
> in our its group: https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/its/trac/
>
> It will be great for you to take a look at this I-D and give us 
> comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Paul
> -- 
> Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its