Subject: [its] Size of a typical CAM / DENM

From: Michelle Wetterwald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:19:03 +0200

Hello,

In parallel to the meeting last week, I asked some experts close to
implementers. As mentioned during the meeting, the answer is not
straightforward as it has to take into account the specifics of the ITS
station, and several experts had to be consulted on this question.
Indeed, the message size can be highly variable. After some investigation,
the experts came to the conclusion that the CAMs without security are 100
to 600 Bytes long and the DENMs without security are typically between 300
and 800 Bytes long.

Hence, even with security, CAM and DENM will stay below 1500 Bytes length.

Furthermore, the experts confirm the opinion that fragmentation is no good
idea. Other solutions, maybe at higher layers, have to be defined.

Thanks to Dieter Smely for his help finding the answer.

Best regards,
Michelle Wetterwald
----
Senior expert in networking and telecommunications