Subject: [its] WG Action: Formed IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (ipwave)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 09:19:42 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Internet Area. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (ipwave)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Carlos Bernardos <[email-masked]>
  Russ Housley <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>
  Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/its/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipwave/

Automobiles and vehicles of all types are increasingly connected
to the Internet.  Comfort-enhancing entertainment applications,
road safety applications using bidirectional data flows, and
connected automated driving are some of the new features
expected in automobiles to hit the roads from now to year 2020.

Today, there are several deployed Vehicle-to-Internet technologies
(V2Internet) that make use of embedded Internet modules, or an
occupant's cellular smartphone: mirrorlink, carplay, android
auto. Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I, not to be mistaken with
V2Internet) Communications are used for wireless exchange of
critical safety and operational data between vehicles and roadway
infrastructure, intended primarily to avoid motor vehicle
crashes. Similarly, Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications (V2V) are
used for short-range communications between vehicles to exchange
vehicle information such as vehicle speed, heading and braking
status.

This group will work on V2V and V2I use-cases where IP is
well-suited as a networking technology and will develop an IPv6
based solution to establish direct and secure connectivity
between a vehicle and other vehicles or stationary systems. These
vehicular networks are characterized by dynamically changing
network topologies and connectivity.

V2V and V2I communications may involve various kinds of link
layers: 802.11-OCB (Outside the Context of a Basic Service Set),
802.15.4 with 6lowpan, 802.11ad, VLC (Visible Light
Communications), IrDA, LTE-D, LP-WAN.  One of the most used link
layers for vehicular networks is IEEE 802.11-OCB, as a basis for
Dedicated short-range communications (DSRC). Several of these
link-layers already provide support for IPv6. However, IPv6 on
802.11-OCB is yet to be fully defined. Some aspects of the IPv6
over 802.11-OCB work have been already defined at IEEE 1609 and
the specification produced by this working group is expected be
compatible with these aspects.

This group's primary deliverable (and the only Standards track
item) will be a document that will specify the mechanisms for
transmission of IPv6 datagrams over IEEE 802.11-OCB mode. Once
this document is completed, it will also be reviewed by the 6man
working group. This group will work on an informational document
that will explain the state of the art in the field and describe
the use cases that will use IPv6 in order to focus the work of
the group. The group will also work on informational document
that describes the problem statement and the associated security
and privacy considerations. The working group will decide at a
future point whether these informational documents need to be
published separately as RFCs or if they maybe combined.

The group will try to reuse relevant technologies for Internet of
Things (IoT) and infrastructure mobility that have been developed
in other IETF and IRTF groups. The WG will pay particular
attention to the privacy characteristics of solution it develops
in order to minimize unwanted tracking opportunities. The group
will closely coordinate with IEEE 802.11. The IETF has also
established a formal liason relationship with ISO/TC204 in
connection with the work to be performed by this working
group. The work produced by this group may also be of interest to
other SDOs such as ETSI TC ITS, 3GPP, and government
organizations such as the NHTSA. No formal co-ordination is
anticipated with these groups at this point but work done in
these SDOs may end up becoming relevant to the WG deliverables in
the future.

Milestones:
  Nov 2016 - Draft for "IPv6 over 802.11-OCB" adopted by WG
  Dec 2016 - Draft for "ITS General Problem Area" adopted by WG
  Mar 2017 - Draft for "Problem Statement" adopted by WG
  May 2017 - Submit "IPv6 over 802.11-OCB" to IESG
  Oct 2017 - Submit "ITS General Problem Area" to IESG
  May 2018 - Submit "Problem Statement" to IESG