Subject: [ipwave] New Liaison Statement, "LS on Establishment of SAE Cellular V2X Technical Committee and Associated Task Forces"

From: Liaison Statement Management Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:26:30 -0800

Title: LS on Establishment of SAE Cellular V2X Technical Committee and Associated Task Forces
Submission Date: 2018-01-02
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1552/

From: Jim Misener <[email-masked]>
To: Carlos Bernardos <[email-masked]>,Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Cc: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>,Terry Manderson <[email-masked]>,Carlos Bernardos <[email-masked]>,IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments Discussion List <[email-masked]>,Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Response Contacts: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Technical Contacts: 
Purpose: For information

Body: 1. Overall Description:
The SAE Cellular V2X Technical Committee (C-V2X TC) was formed in June, 2017 with the following charter:

The SAE Cellular V2X Technical Committee reports to the Vehicle Engineering Systems Group of the Motor
Vehicle Council. The Committee is responsible for adapting, developing and maintaining SAE Standards,
Recommended Practices, and Information Reports that use cellular radio access technologies and specifically,
evolving 4G LTE and 5G cellular technologies that require interoperability and performance standards for road
vehicles and other road users in order to use the full capabilities of these technologies. The committee also
coordinates task force efforts to ensure efficient development and delivery of SAE documents, acts as liaison to
the other organizations involved in the with vehicular-oriented cellular standards and deployments, and
organizes efforts in gathering requirements for SAE standardization and assigns them to distributed task forces.
The C-V2X Technical Committee will work closely with the SAE DSRC Technical Committee and with their
documents to assure efficient reuse and adjustment as appropriate, e.g., strive to maintain a single data
dictionary. Participants in the SAE C-V2X TC include vehicle OEMs, vehicle suppliers, mobile network
operators, mobile network operator equipment suppliers, mobile handset manufacturers, chipset
manufacturers, road operators, traffic equipment suppliers, consulting firms, government, and other interested
parties.

At the current time, three Task Forces constitute the C-V2X TC. The Task Forces and charters are:

CV2X Advanced Applications Task Force: Develop definitions of terms, use cases, recommended practices,
guidelines, test methods, specifications and performance standards for vehicles connected using C-V2X,
focusing on advanced V2X applications (i.e., applications that cannot be supported by DSRC and Rel-14 LTEV2X)
that deal with 5G (3GPP NR and LTE evolution) to leverage enhanced mobile broadband, use of
millimeter wave and other anticipated radio access technologies, and the next generation core network
including enablers such as NFV/SDN, edge computing, and network slicing. The task force will encourage
research in these areas, and sponsor and facilitate the development of related standards. The work of this task
force will be coordinated with other task forces in C-V2X Technical Committee, as well as other V2X related
technical committees and standards organizations such as 3GPP, ATIS, GSM Association, DSRC Technical
Committee, On-Road Automated Driving (RAD) Technical Committee, ITU-T and ETSI.

CV2X Direct Communication Task Force: Develop definitions of terms, use cases, recommended practices
guidelines, test methods, specifications and performance standards for vehicles connected using C-V2X,
focusing on safety applications that include cooperative awareness, warning notification, safe lane change, safe
intersection and roundabout crossing, etc. Important topics of security, reliability, and quality of service will be
part of the charter. The task force will encourage research in these areas, and sponsor and facilitate the
development of related standards. The work of this task force will be coordinated with other task forces in CV2X
Technical Committee, as well as other V2X related technical committees and standards organizations
such as DSRC Technical Committee, On-Road Automated Driving (RAD) Technical Committee, 3GPP, ISO,
ITU-T and ETSI.

CV2X Road Operators Task Force: Work with the ground transportation operating community to identify its
high-level needs and develop standards, recommended practices, and information reports to address those
needs.

2. Actions:

To (SDOs and industry organizations):

ACTION: The SAE C-V2X welcomes mutual consideration and communication as we jointly standardize
applicable interoperability and performance specifications to fully leverage 4G LTE and 5G cellular
radio access technologies.

3. Date of Next SAE C-V2X Meetings:
3rd Wednesday of every month, 1000 Eastern Time US         WebEx
14-15 March, 2018                                                                          Southeast Michigan or Newark NJ (TBD)
Attachments:

    SAE 12302017-1- LS Announcing SAE C-V2X v2final.pdf
    https://www.ietf.org/lib/dt/documents/LIAISON/liaison-2018-01-02-sae-cell-v2x-ipwave-ls-on-establishment-of-sae-cellular-v2x-technical-committee-and-associated-task-forces-attachment-1.pdf