Subject: Re: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:36:22 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>

    > An EID *does* identify an endpoint's interface, however. Therefore, I
    > believe a more accurate expansion of the term is Endpoint *Interface*
    > iDentifier (EID).

When you say "An EID", you mean a LISP EID, right?

Since there are 'LISP EIDs' and 'Classic EIDs' (sorry, couldn't resist :-),
we need to be careful with use of the term 'EID', lest more confusion reign.
I think I personally will start using the acronym LEID in the future, to be
very explicit. (It's only one more keystrokem, and to me seems well worth the
work to make confusion on this point impossible.)

After thinking about it briefly, I guess an LEID does _currently_ name an
interface, not a stack - especially in an un-modified host.

I say "_currently_" because I can also see a future in which i) the LISP
'boundary' is the first-hop router everywhere, and the LEID no longer holds
any location semantics, and ii) _some_ hosts have therefore been modified so
that they have only a single IPv4 'address', which explicitly names the stack.
(Remember that in my mind LISP is not just what is in the current documents,
but also a long-term development path of which the current stuff is only step
1 of about 5 - or more.)

Although maybe that's not such a good idea... I think you want to be able to
name specific interfaces. Although now that I think about it briefly, it would
be cleaner/more correct to do that in a new 'locator' namespace (step 2 or 3
of the aforementioned 5 or so).

	Noel

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:00:24 -0700

Noel,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [lisp] [ipdir] LISP WG
> 
> 

Agree for an unmodified host.

> but also a long-term development path of which the current stuff is
only step

IP addresses (of which the LISP EID is an example) name
interfaces. If you assign a LISP EID to a loopback interface
of an xTR, then in some sense it also names the stack. But,
the address still has location semantics of a sort (maybe
call it node-local scope) and it only names one of the
xTR's stacks, which may in fact have many.

Fred
[email-masked]

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp