Subject: [lisp] A brief introduction

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:13:48 -0400

Hi, folks.
I'm looking forward to working with all of you.

I haven't been that visible in the internet area so I'd like to
briefly introduce myself.

I'm a software consultant, mostly working on infrastructure software,
although one of my current clients is looking at IPV6 security issues.  Up until last year, I was at MIT as the chief technologist for the MIT Kerberos Consortium.
(I'm still using an MIT email address for IETF issues.)

I've been participating in the IETF since 1998.  Most of my work has
been in the security space.  I was on the IESG for three years as a
security AD.  In that role, I had the pleasure of working with a lot
of folks from the internet area, reviewing specifications.

I've been very interested in the ID/locator split problem since I
became aware of it.  I've been following (although not actively
participating) HIP, SHIM6, MULTI6, and some of the public IAB
discussions on the issues including the ID/LOC BOF.  

I'm a strong advocate of a fair process.  I want to make sure everyone
gets heard and understood; we're not done until we've understood the
positions of stakeholders who want to work with us and have come to an
informed rough consensus.
I can be strongly spoken, but I'm not afraid to change my mind.

I do come from a security background.  One of my jobs as chair will be
to make sure we accurately describe the security implications of LISP.
While I'd be delighted if we find ways of making LISP's security
better, that cannot come at the expense of completing our work.
Documenting the security properties of LISP, on the other hand, is not
optional.  Also, security is only "better" if it is balanced against
security; a great security system that no one uses is worse than a
balanced security tradeoff that provides reasonable security and
improves productivity.

I look forward to working with all of you!