Subject: [lisp] CFP - Special Issue on Internet Routing Scalability in IEEE JSAC

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:59:46 +0200

Dear all -

FYI and for further distribution:  Below is a call for papers for a
special issue on Internet routing scalability in the IEEE Journal on
Selected Areas in Communications.

- Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                            CALL FOR PAPERS
        IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC)
                     INTERNET ROUTING SCALABILITY

The Internet routing infrastructure provides connectivity among millions
of computers around the globe. As the Internet went through a phenomenal
growth over the last three decades, its routing system has encountered
multitude of challenges brought forth by the unprecedented scale of the
system.  In addition to the rapid growth in the number of customer
networks, there have been increasing trends of customer network
multihoming to facilitate load balancing and fail-over between multiple
providers, desiring provider-independent IP address assignments over
provider-allocated addresses to avoid internal renumbering when changing
providers, and Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) deployment to support
business and enterprise users. Unfortunately, the rapid user growth
compounded with multihoming, provider-independent addressing, and VPN
provisioning has led to a fast growth of the global routing systems. At
the same time, Internet service providers (ISPs) face economical
constraints that may prevent them from prompt upgrade to the latest
technologies to meet the demands.

More recently, the Internet routing architecture also confronted two new
challenges: the imminent exhaustion of IPv4 address space and hence
foreseeable wide deployment of IPv6, and the emerging mobile access to
Internet from billions of hand-held devices. The latter further drives
the demands for IPv6 roll out, yet the sheer size of the IPv6 address
space presents a great scaling concern to the routing system, and the
impact of various global-scale mobility solutions on the routing system
remains to be fully understood. The ever increasing size of the global
routing system also directly impacts its security and management. It is
imperative to solve the routing scalability problems in order to enable
continued growth of the Internet while allowing ISPs to operate with
feasible upgrade intervals.  This need has sparked a plethora of recent
research efforts, with proposed solutions ranging from
backwards-compatible, evolutionary techniques, to revolutionary
clean-slate approaches.

This special issue will focus on the latest research on Internet routing
scalability.  Prospective authors are expected to submit original
unpublished contributions to further analyze the problem space, to
compare and evaluate existing solution proposals, or to present new
solutions.  Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the
following:

- addressing schemes that facilitate scalable routing designs,
- scalable solutions to network multihoming, traffic engineering, and
   VPN support
- impact of mobility on routing scalability
- routing threat analyses and security methods
- economical considerations
- analytical or comparative studies

All submissions must be prepared in accordance with the format described
at http://www.jsac.ucsd.edu/Guidelines/info.html, and be sent via email
to [email-masked] according to the following timetable:

Manuscript submission:       October 30, 2009
Acceptance notification:     February 15, 2010
Final Manuscript due:        May 15, 2010
Publication:                 3rd quarter, 2010

Guest Editors:
- Tim Griffin, University of Cambridge UK ([email-masked])
- Tony Li, Ericsson USA ([email-masked])
- Dan Massey, Colorado State University, USA ([email-masked])
- Christian Vogt, Ericsson USA ([email-masked])
- Jia Wang, AT&T Labs, Inc. - Research, USA ([email-masked])
- Lixia Zhang, University of California, USA ([email-masked])

http://www.jsac.ucsd.edu/Calls/internetroutingscalabilityCFP.pdf