Subject: [lisp] One more point about the /16 and the /32 issue

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:59:38 -0700

Note that if a carrier is allocating /32s to mobile nodes, then there  
really isn't a home site and everything in the EID-prefix is moving.  
Also, that EID-prefix isn't really in anyone's map-cache just the /32s.

The problem that Joel brought up, is if an enterprise that is using  
both stationary nodes and mobile nodes from *the same EID-prefix" is  
when the problem arises. That is, that enterprise could use another  
EID-prefix which is allocated only for LISP mobile nodes. So only /32s  
are cached.

Dino

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:07:45 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>

    > EID-prefix which is allocated only for LISP mobile nodes.

That's definitely another possible 'solution' - don't support mobility from
within 'static' EID blocks. If an organization wants to support mobility, 
it needs to get a separate block for that.

I say this, not as a snide 'let them eat cake' kind of thing, but in serious
recognition that other solutions will inevitably include complexity, overhead,
etc, etc and one has to seriously consider whether simply saying 'this
particular frill is not supported, just use a separate block' isn't the
appropriate answer from an overall engineering point of view.

	Noel