Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP does not involve separate namespaces

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:34:52 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>

    > "RLOC" and "EID" are not, and never have been, separate namespaces.

Yes, that's why we don't need a translation service to map from one to
another. Got it.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>

    > Suppose a nameserver or some other piece of critical infrastructure is
    > in RLOC space, and an endpoint wants to talk to it.

If endpoints want to be able to talk to it, probably the best way is to have
an EID assigned to it.

    > How does ... tell whether the destination address is an RLOC or an EID
    > if the address spaces overlap?

Without context, you can't.

People seem to be forgetting the words 'incremental' and 'practical' here.
Yes, if we were doing a 'clean sheet' design, we could make a clear
separation between the two. HELLO! We don't have that luxury. Some ugliness
is therefore inevitable.

	Noel