Subject: Re: [lisp] #19: not including the M bit

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:40:30 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>

    > When you specify a registry for IANA you also specify an update
    > policy. ... You can require designated expert review, working group
    > review, or perhaps other mechanisms. 

I guess I don't see the point of going through the overhead of setting up
an IANA registry if we're just going to set the WG as the arbiters of the
update. What does it buy us?

	Noel

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:55:50 -0400

>>>>> "Noel" == Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> When you specify a registry
    >> for IANA you also specify an update policy. ... You can require
    >> designated expert review, working group review, or perhaps
    >> other mechanisms.

    Noel> I guess I don't see the point of going through the overhead
    Noel> of setting up an IANA registry if we're just going to set
    Noel> the WG as the arbiters of the update. What does it buy us?

Fairness, mostly.  It makes us decide how we're going to allocate
things.

If someone comes forward and says "Hey, you approved 95% of vendor A's
registration requests and only 5% of vendor B's," I as chair want us
to be able to show that it isn't simply because we like vendor A
better.  That is one of the reasons, but there are a bunch of others.

So, I want to write down the criteria we're going to use.  Until we
do, the default criteria I will use is that resources can be assigned
to WG documents under WG consensus.

I think I may have said that of course there will be objective
elements to this in another message.  What I intended to say is that
of course there will be subjective elements.

However I'm not saying we need to do this.  I'm saying that there
seemed to be enough support that if someone in the WG wants to drive
the effort,it sounds like they might succeed.  If no one wants to
allocate codepoints to non-WG documents, then we don't need to do it
until much later in the process, very near submitting to Jari.