Subject: [lisp] [#16]: Desire to expand data plane for map versioning or handle in the control plane

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:49:47 -0400

Folks, I just listened to the Stockholm audio--at least the locator
reachability and map versioning discussions.

In summarizing the discussion, Darrel acting as chair pointed out that
the difference betwene what Luigi and Dino were talking about had to
do with whether it happened in the control plane or data plane.  Dino
said that the idea of sending a map request to someone to let them
know that your mapping information has changed was a good idea.  The
question though is whether it should be triggered by a data plane
mechanism--I.E. map versioning--or should remain in the control plane.

Darrel said he would ask that question on the list.  That hasn't
happened so far, so I'm asking it now.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:53:17 -0400

> mechanism--I.E. map versioning--or should remain in the control plane.

Neither?

I'd prefer that we use short-enough TTLs to allow new mapping entries  
to be detected in a reasonably short period of time without an  
explicit signalling mechanism.

If there is concern that this would result in too much mapping  
traffic, we could work on a mechanism to extend the TTL (and suppress  
subsequent mapping lookups) when there is ongoing successful  
communication.

Margaret

---

From: "Darrel Lewis (darlewis)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:04:44 -0700

> happened so far, so I'm asking it now.

Thanks Sam, apologies to the WG for not doing this.

-Darrel