Subject: [lisp] #21: Section 5.1 behavior

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 01:28:26 -0000

#21: Section 5.1 behavior
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:     
    Type:  technical              |      Status:  new
Priority:  minor                  |   Component:  alt
Severity:  -                      |    Keywords:     
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Section 5.1 of the alt document is confused about its role.  It
 describes its context as describing ITR traffic handling.  That
 belongs in draft-ietf-lisp not in draft-ietf-lisp-alt.  All
 draft-ietf-lisp-alt should do is describe what happens when an ITR
 wants to use the alt to discover the mapping of a packet.  This
 comment is mostly editorial: the text can be reworded in terms of the
 mapping behavior.

 In addition, section 5.1 seems to only describe data probes, not map
 request behavior.
 The section should either be retitled to make it clear that it only
 discusses data probes or should be changed to discuss both cases.

 My preference is that the section discuss both cases.

 Finally, the text does not make it clear what the outer source address
 of the packet over the ALT is.  I can see a couple of possibilities.
 First, you could use the local address of the GRE interface over which
 you're forwarding the packet if it has an address.  Second you could
 use an RLOC address of one of your non-alt interfaces.  Presumably you
 want the second option, so the text should say this.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/21>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues