Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP Interworking: Proxy Egress Tunnel Routers

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:11:19 -0400

At least in theory, we get to replace several multi-homed sites, each 
with their own PI address with a single PITR advertisement for their EID 
block.

Obviosuly, there is going to be some period of time when folks won't 
trust the PITRs, etc...  But at least that is a theory which, if I could 
believe the PITR deployment story, lead towards reduction.

Yours,
Joel

Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > the PITR advertises in BGP a short prefix for a large block of EIDs.
> 
> Right, I forgot about that.
> 
> The problem with doing that is that if EIDs in that block are scattered,
> topologically, you'll wind up with longer paths. TANSTAAFL... Course, that is
> only true for traffic from non-LISP sites..
> 
>     > If it does not do this, then during transition (half of forever), we
>     > get an increase in routing table size instead of a decrease.
> 
> Routing table size is a whole discussion in itself.
> 
> Even with a certain amount of reduction of splittage, you still wind up
> needing to advertize both EIDs _and_ RLOCs, i.e. potentially more stuff. I'd
> been hoping to be able to, before long, get to a situation where parts of the
> network did not include all of (legacy-addresses, EIDs, RLOCs).
> 
> 	Noel
>

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:54:41 -0700

> At least in theory, we get to replace several multi-homed sites,  
> each with their own PI address with a single PITR advertisement for  
> their EID block.
>
> trust the PITRs, etc...  But at least that is a theory which, if I  
> could believe the PITR deployment story, lead towards reduction.

Trust?

I don't have to trust all the routers that are getting this email  
message to you, but I do have to depend on them. On different for PTRs  
or PETRs.

Dino

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp