Subject: [lisp] Interworking and Deployment documentation

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:32:24 -0500

There are a number of folks who are reviewing our documents, and trying 
to understand our work without the benefit of the WG context.  This is 
very good, as the documents need to stand alone.
These folks have raised a number of questions with me.

After talking with Terry and Darrel about some of these issues, we would 
like to plan on resurrecting one of the documents that has been allowed 
to languish, to address part of this.  Darrel had previously written a 
document on LISP Interworking.  This will focus on the technical means 
that are needed to enable Interwoking between LISP and the large, 
non-upgraded, world.

In addition it seems likely that we need a document that describes 
practical deployments for LISP.  This would be similar to an 
applicability statement, but somewhat broader.  What follows are some of 
the things I think could be in this document.  But first, the questions.

Do folks think we need a deployment document?
Is anyone willing to work on or be the editor for such a document?

Potential contents would seem to include:
Placement of ITRs and ETRs (and who is responsible for managing them.)
Structure for EID allocation.
Placement and management of ALT routers, at the top of the hierarchy.
Relationship between LISP EID delegation and ALT Router operations, 
including issues of ALT-Provider lockin.
Placement and operation of PITRs (and incentives for same.)
Placement and operation of PETRs.
Placement and operation of MS/MR devices.

Some of the items above may not be worth writing up.
Some are probably very simple along the lines of "logical component X 
goes with logical component Y."
But that list does seem to be a set of questions that will help folks 
understand how the system will work, and what problems it can or can not 
address.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern