Subject: [lisp] #94: Implications on using Control plane for data forwarding (comment 15 reported by Y. Rekhter)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 05:16:25 -0000

#94: Implications on using Control plane for data forwarding (comment 15
reported by Y. Rekhter)
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Reporter:  wmhaddad@…          |       Owner:                 
    Type:  technical           |      Status:  new            
Priority:  major               |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                 
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Section 4.1

     In LISP 1.5, the packet is routed on a different topology
     which may have EID prefixes distributed and advertised in an
     aggregatable fashion.  In either case, the packet arrives at the
     ETR.  The router is configured to "punt" the packet to the
     router's processor.

 Note that the packet is a data plane packet. That means that on ETR the
 control plane is used for data plane packet forwarding. What are the
 implications of this on control plane performance?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/94>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues