Subject: [lisp] #59: Editorial Issues Section 10 of draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt (from Y. Rekhter's review)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:44:25 -0000

#59: Editorial Issues Section 10 of draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt (from Y. Rekhter's
review)
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Reporter:  luigi@…                        |       Owner:                 
    Type:  editorial                      |      Status:  new            
Priority:  trivial                        |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                              |    Keywords:                 
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Section 10.3

 visited network using its original EID, then LISP will need to perform a
 route-returnability check on the new EID-RLOC mapping for that EID.
 What is a "route-returnability check"?

 loss for the entire system. Heuristics can be added to LISP to reduce the
 number of mapping changes required and to reduce the delay
 This sounds like an assertion.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/59>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues

---

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:44:05 -0000

Description changed by luigi@…:

> This sounds like an assertion.

New description:

 '''This is Comment 42'''

 Section 10.3

--

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/59#comment:1>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues

---

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:38:04 -0000

New description:

 '''This is Comment 42'''

 Section 10.3

  visited network using its original EID, then LISP will need to perform a
 route-
  returnability check on the new EID-RLOC mapping for that EID.

  loss for the entire system. Heuristics can be added to LISP to reduce the
 number of
  mapping changes required and to reduce the delay

  per mapping change. Also IP mobility can be modified to require fewer
 mapping
  changes. In order to increase overall system performance, there may be a
 need to
  reduce the optimization of one area in order to place fewer demands on
 another.

 This would appear to be a tacit admission that LISP has a problem with IP
 mobility (and would therefore like IP mobility to go away). More of the
 same a few paragraphs down:

  Mobile IP packet exchange is designed for an environment in which all
 routing
  information is disseminated before packets can be forwarded. In order to
 allow the
  Internet to grow to support expected future use, we are moving to an
 environment
  where some information may have to be obtained after packets are in
 flight.
  Modifications to IP mobility should be considered in order to optimize
 the
  behavior of the overall system. Anything which decreases the number of
 new
  EID- RLOC mappings needed when a node moves, or maintains the validity of
 an
  EID- RLOC mapping for a longer time, is useful.

--

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/59#comment:2>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues