Subject: [lisp] #40: On the handling of decapsulated packets (from D. Papadimitriou's review)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:11:01 -0000

#40: On the handling of decapsulated packets (from D. Papadimitriou's review)
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Reporter:  luigi@…                        |       Owner:                 
    Type:  technical                      |      Status:  new            
Priority:  major                          |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                              |    Keywords:                 
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Section 4.1 point 4 states “The LISP header is stripped so that the
 packet can be forwarded by the router control plane.” … forwarding
 traffic by routing control engines result in major drawbacks such as
 attacks, intrusions, etc. if the value encoded in the destination EID
 is one of the routers addresses.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/40>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues

---

From: Darrel Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:59:16 -0700

> #40: On the handling of decapsulated packets (from D. Papadimitriou's review)

The point that Mr Papadimitriou raises in section 4.1 point 4 is just one of the drawbacks of DataProbes.  We've been actively deprecating them for some time, though leaving in the _option_ for them so we can continue experimenting.

I believe the draft would be best served by altering this example to show the current packet flow with and without a map cache entry for the destination EID in the ITR.  If the WG agrees with this I'll propose some text.

-Darrel