Subject: [lisp] #55: ETR failure and its implications on connectivity restoration time (review by Y. Rekhter)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:19:48 -0000

#55: ETR failure and its implications on connectivity restoration time (review
by Y. Rekhter)
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Reporter:  wmhaddad@…          |       Owner:                 
    Type:  technical           |      Status:  new            
Priority:  major               |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                 
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 In today's routing global BGP convergence is NOT required for connectivity
 restoration. In other words, IP connectivity
 restoration takes less time than what it takes to propagate fault
 information throughout the Internet (or for that matter even
 throughout a site). With LISP connectivity, restoration requires to
 propagate fault all the way to the ITRs. In addition, if one relies
 on Loc-Status-Bits to determine that a particular RLOC is down,
 connectivity restoration would also require to propagate fault
 information from one ITR to another. In some case this may not be
 feasible (e.g., ETRs are PEs). And even in the cases where it is
 feasible, that is likely to increase connectivity restoration time.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://zinfandel.levkowetz.com/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/55>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues