Subject: [lisp] #101: Filtering ICMP messages (comment 19 reported by Y. Rekhter)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 05:29:51 -0000

#101: Filtering ICMP messages (comment 19 reported by Y. Rekhter)
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Reporter:  wmhaddad@…          |       Owner:                 
    Type:  technical           |      Status:  new            
Priority:  major               |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                 
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Section 5.4.2

 How would this work if the ITR is behind the firewall, and the firewall
 filters ICMP messages?

 Also, in the case where a large volume of traffic has to be moved from one
 ITR to another (e.g., due to ITR failure), it will take time for the ITR
 to which the traffic is moved to discover the effective MTU for each
 locator mapping, and until this occurs, the traffic will be dropped.

 Moreover, this ITR could also get overloaded with ICMP Too Big messages,
 which could further increase the time required to discover the effective
 MTU for each locator mapping.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/101>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues