Subject: [lisp] #30: Editorial Issues Section 3 of draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt raised by Dimitri Papadimitriou in his review

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:31:51 -0000

#30: Editorial Issues Section 3 of draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt raised by Dimitri
Papadimitriou in his review
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Reporter:  luigi@…                        |       Owner:                 
    Type:  editorial                      |      Status:  new            
Priority:  minor                          |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                              |    Keywords:                 
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Section 3. The definition of Provider Independent (PI) Addresses
 states what a PI is not instead of defining what a PI is. Also the
 document refers to EID prefixes and EID “blocks” what is a “block” and
 a “sub-block”?

 Section 3. Definition of PA “LISP uses only topologically-assigned and
 aggregatable address blocks for RLOCs, eliminating this demonstrably non-
 scalable practice”. Provide a reference of such demonstration.

 Section 3. ITR/ETR are described as routers while they are actually
 functions. Describe them as functions instead of “routers”.

 Section 3. Definition of RLOC seems to be limited to ETR. Thus how ITR
 set the Source RLOC ? Section 7 (third bullet) makes this assignment
 even less understandable (the well-defined concept of VRF suddenly
 appears).

 Section 3. The most important definition “EID-to-RLOC mapping lookup”
 is missing. In particular, how a ITR knows that the “incoming”
 destination address is part of an EID prefix ? More generally which
 event or condition triggers such lookup ?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://64.170.98.42/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/30>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues

---

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:33:02 -0000

Priority:  trivial                        |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Changes (by luigi@…):

  * priority:  minor => trivial

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/30#comment:1>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues

---

From: "PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:38:45 +0200

>  Section 3. The most important definition "EID-to-RLOC mapping lookup"
>  is missing. In particular, how a ITR knows that the "incoming"

I will clarify with an example: assume that routers hosting ITR and ETR
function are connected directly (up), or by means of a path through
reachable RLOC (RLOC_2).

            ---------------------------
           |                           |
          ---                         ---
EID_1>---|ITR|-----------------------|ETR|--->EID_2
          --- RLOC_1           RLOC_2 ---

which path to follow (in such hybrid configuration) ? what triggers
EID-to-RLOC mapping lookup to make packets flowing to EID_2 via RLOC_2 ?
is it the source EID (but then how to distinguish local traffic) ?  

Remember that LISP1.5 uses EIDs that are routable for bootstrapping
EID-to-RLOC mappings. The more general question is thus EID are routable
before being "mappable" hence which conditions ensure they become
mappable. Nothing is stated.

Thanks,
-dimitri.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of lisp issue tracker
> Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:32 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [lisp] #30: Editorial Issues Section 3 of 
> draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt raised by Dimitri Papadimitriou in his review
> 
> Reporter:  luigi@...                        |       Owner:      
>            
>  document refers to EID prefixes and EID "blocks" what is a 
> "block" and
>  a "sub-block"?
> 
>  Section 3. Definition of PA "LISP uses only 
> topologically-assigned and
>  scalable practice". Provide a reference of such demonstration.
> 
>  functions. Describe them as functions instead of "routers".
> 
>  Section 3. The most important definition "EID-to-RLOC mapping lookup"
>  is missing. In particular, how a ITR knows that the "incoming"
> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp
>