Subject: [lisp] #74: Deployment Scenarios (from R. Bonica review for the RTG directorate)

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:42:14 -0000

#74: Deployment Scenarios (from R. Bonica review for the RTG directorate)
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Reporter:  luigi@…                        |       Owner:                 
    Type:  technical                      |      Status:  new            
Priority:  major                          |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                              |    Keywords:                 
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 In http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtg-dir/current/msg01379.html
 the following issue concerning LISP's deployment is raised:

  - During the migration period, when an ITR receives a packet, it must
  determine whether that packet's destination address is an EID or an
  RLOC. The document isn't clear about how the ITR does this. One
  possibility is to encode that information in the IP address. Another is
  to query the network to find out. While the first solution may work for
  IPv6, it won't work well for IPv4. The second solution presents
  performance problems regardless of IP version.

  - LISP's goals are best achieved when the entire Internet is surrounded
  by xTRs (i.e., at the end of migration). However, it is impossible to
  know when that state has been achieved. The document should say
  something about when an operator has completed its migration effort and
  what benefit it can expect to reap at that time.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/74>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues