Subject: [lisp] LISP support in Linux kernel?

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 16:01:30 +0100

Hi,

are there any ongoing attempts to integrate LISP into the network stack 
of the Linux-kernel?

That way we'd gain a foothold in most smartphones, tablets, embedded 
devices and Linux-servers/-desktops.

-- 
Best regards,

Rene Bartsch, B. Sc. Informatics

---

From: Lori Jakab <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 17:54:29 +0200

Hello again :)

Not to sound like a broken record :P, this is also not exactly what you're asking for, but there is an implementation of LISP for the Open vSwitch (OvS) project, which is a widely open source virtual switch.  The OvS project has a kernel data plane module, which is part of the Linux kernel.  There are two versions of this kernel module: one is part of the Open vSwitch software distribution, the other is part of the official Linux kernel.  The second version typically lags behind in terms of features, and currently has no LISP support.  There is an effort underway to change that.

-Lori

On Nov 7, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> are there any ongoing attempts to integrate LISP into the network stack of the Linux-kernel?
> 
> That way we'd gain a foothold in most smartphones, tablets, embedded devices and Linux-servers/-desktops.
> 
> -- 
> Best regards,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp

---

From: Albert Cabellos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:02:01 +0100

Hi

You might be interested in http://lispmob.org

This is a user-space linux implementation of LISP, we interface with the 
kernel through tun/tap and netlink. With this architecture we have a 
common code-base for linux, android and openwrt (embedded devices).

 From our experience we have found that it is easier to support several 
platforms from the user-space. Pretty much any linux "thing" has netlink 
and tun/tap, so supporting a new platform should be straightforward, in 
most cases just re-compiling.

We actually used to have a data-plane lisp kernel module, the module is 
still public at the github lispmob repository.

Regards

Albert

---

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 22:13:29 +0100

For your convenience, here is a pointer to the github that Albert just
mentioned:

https://github.com/LISPmob/lispmob/tree/release-0.2

Folders "lisp_int" and "lisp_mod" contain the LISPmob kernel code.

Thanks,
Alberto

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Albert Cabellos <[email-masked]>wrote:

> kernel through tun/tap and netlink. With this architecture we have a common
> code-base for linux, android and openwrt (embedded devices).
>

---

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 00:21:57 +0100

Am 2013-11-07 22:02, schrieb Albert Cabellos:
> This is a user-space linux implementation of LISP, we interface with
> the kernel through tun/tap and netlink. With this architecture we have
> a common code-base for linux, android and openwrt (embedded devices).
> 
> platforms from the user-space. Pretty much any linux "thing" has
> netlink and tun/tap, so supporting a new platform should be
> straightforward, in most cases just re-compiling.

In my opinion LISPmob is a great project for experimenting, but for mass 
deployment it should be implemented in all devices by default - and the 
Linux-kernel is the most common layer of most internet-capable devices. 
;-)

Is there any chance LISPmob will work on Android without rooting? Maybe 
via VPN-API in 4.x?

How is the roadmap for NAT-support? As my current router model does not 
support LISP, I wanted to cascade a Mikrotik Routerboard 493G 
(http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb493g), but that's impossible as 
long as LISP can't traverse the NAT on the main router. German cellular 
providers use carrier grade NAT, so LISPmob can't be used on Android as 
long as it doesn't support NAT.

Renne

---

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 01:08:47 +0100

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Linux-kernel is the most common layer of most internet-capable devices. ;-)
>

We are looking into it, but at this point the only available option is to
run LISPmob on rooted devices...

> support LISP, I wanted to cascade a Mikrotik Routerboard 493G (
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb493g), but that's impossible as
> LISPmob for Android already supports NAT traversal. You can find the
latest code here:

https://github.com/LISPmob/lispmob/tree/android

We expect to offer a binary version (Android APK) on lispmob.org soon.

Thanks,
Alberto

---

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:28:33 +0100

> We expect to offer a binary version (Android APK) on lispmob.org soon.

How is the state of the Debian-version? Does it support NAT? Does ist 
support multiple EIDs on one RLOC?

-- 
Best regards,

---

From: Albert López <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:44:12 +0100

We tested with Ubuntu but it should work in any linux implementation.
It supports NAT-traversal but only with one EID and one RLOC. If you 
don't require NAT, then multiple EIDs and multiple RLOCs are supported.

Regards

Albert L.

---

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:56:58 +0100

Unfortunately I've one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 7390, which seems 
to have a LISP-bug, and one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 7330SL, which 
doesn't support LISP, yet.

I considered using my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS-NAS or a Mikrotik Routerboard 
RB493G with OpenWRT behind the Fritz!Box 7330SL, but that's not possible 
unless LISPmob supports NAT with multiple EIDs (/28-IPv4 and /48-IPv6 of 
LISP Beta-Network). Unfortunately more and more german ISPs switch to 
Dual-Stack Lite which renders LISPmob unusable for routers unless 
multiple EIDs are possible with NAT.

Regards,

Renne

-- 
Best regards,

---

From: Albert López <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:31:03 +0100

Sorry for the misunderstood. In the previous mail I refer that when 
LISPmob is behind NAT, it could only have configured one IPv4 or one 
IPv6 EID **prefix**. I hope this could feed your requirements.

Regards

Albert

On 11/11/2013 11:56 AM, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Unfortunately I've one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 7390, which 
> seems to have a LISP-bug, and one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 
> 7330SL, which doesn't support LISP, yet.
>
> RB493G with OpenWRT behind the Fritz!Box 7330SL, but that's not 
> possible unless LISPmob supports NAT with multiple EIDs (/28-IPv4 and 
> /48-IPv6 of LISP Beta-Network). Unfortunately more and more german 
> ISPs switch to Dual-Stack Lite which renders LISPmob unusable for 
> routers unless multiple EIDs are possible with NAT.
>
> Regards,
>
> Renne
>
>>> How is the state of the Debian-version? Does it support NAT? Does 
>>> ist support multiple EIDs on one RLOC?
>>>
>

-- 
Albert López
CCABA System Administrator
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Telf: 93 4017182

---

From: Strasser Jürgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:08:42 +0000

Dear René,

if you have a german AVM FBF7390, than LISP capable FW 06.00 was release app. 2 Weeks ago

If you have an international box, I can help you with an FW upgrade, if you give me remote access (with a dedecated account which you can log later on)
I'm not allowed to share this new Firmware public

All the best from Vienna,

Ing. Jürgen Strasser
Service Network Planning
Communication Services

A1 Telekom Austria AG
Lassallestraße 9 1020 Wien
M   +43 664 66 27309
F   +43 50 664 9 27309
@   [email-masked]

A1.net
Facebook.A1.net

Firmensitz Wien FN: 280571f
Handelsgericht Wien

Einfach Papier sparen. Einfach an die Umwelt denken.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Rene Bartsch
Gesendet: Montag, 11. November 2013 11:57
An: [email-masked] list
Betreff: Re: [lisp] LISP support in Linux kernel?

Unfortunately I've one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 7390, which seems to have a LISP-bug, and one location with an AVM Fritz!Box 7330SL, which doesn't support LISP, yet.

I considered using my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS-NAS or a Mikrotik Routerboard RB493G with OpenWRT behind the Fritz!Box 7330SL, but that's not possible unless LISPmob supports NAT with multiple EIDs (/28-IPv4 and /48-IPv6 of LISP Beta-Network). Unfortunately more and more german ISPs switch to Dual-Stack Lite which renders LISPmob unusable for routers unless multiple EIDs are possible with NAT.

Regards,

Renne

--
Best regards,

---

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:51:57 +0100

It's a german version already running 84.06.00. Strangely it shows the 
network addresses of the IPv4- and IPv6-networks (LISP Beta-Network) 
instead of the first usable host address as new public IPs of the 
Fritz!Box. Hosts in the LAN cannot connect with the internet.

I sent support data nearly a week ago to AVM and hope they'll find the 
reason as there is no real LISP-logging in the Fritz!Box.

Best regards,

Renne

Am 2013-11-11 13:08, schrieb Strasser Jürgen:
> If you have an international box, I can help you with an FW upgrade,
> if you give me remote access (with a dedecated account which you can
> log later on)

-- 
Best regards,

---

From: Bartosz Muszynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:18:04 +0100

Hi Rene,

this bug is fixed internally at AVM and will go probably into the next
firmware update the next days. Our setup is to tunnel everything "after
LISP" into a native IPv4 GRE-tunnel and as a "partial" workaround we used
an EID-prefix .128/25, so that we can avoid masquerading as far as
possible. Another option is probably to do a source/destination IP rewrite
via iptables if this is possible for you.

Best regards,
Bartosz