Subject: Re: [lisp] Is there a dedicated control plane channel for interface to the Mapping system?

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 12:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>

    > I was looking for this detail in the
    > "draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-03".

Yes, I already had made a note to myself to cover this topic in the next
revision... :-) The reason I hadn't should be obvious: I think the
encapsulation is an ugly kludge, and so I prefer not to think about it!

(And I also to cover your question about the proper response to a Negative
reply...)

    > does the response from MapServer have a cache timer associated? Or the
    > requester can keep the response forever?

Well, _normally_ the response an ITR sees (the Map-Reply containing the
actual mapping) will come from an ETR, not from the Map-Server. (The
Map-Server just knows who is authoritative for various chunks of the EID
namespace, not what the actual mappings are. So they pass Map-Requests on to
an appropriate ETR, which replies with the actual mapping.)

I assume it's these responses you're talking about - or are you talking about
Proxy Map-Replies, sent by a Map-Server which is acting as a proxy for an ETR?

If the former, each mapping (i.e. {EID->RLOC(s)}) in a Map-Reply packet has
its own TTL (see Section 6.1.4, RFC-6830), and if this is set, the ITR should
discard/refresh the mapping after that interval. (There's also a discrete
reserved value for 'keep as long as you'd like'.)

If the latter, I _assume_ MS's set a similar timeout, but that's an assumption
on my part, I'm not sure any document specifically discusses that point.

    > that there is a typo "inferfaces" in Section 13.1.

Thanks! Got it.

	Noel

---

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:11:47 +0000

Noel, 

> -----Original Message-----
> actual mapping) will come from an ETR, not from the Map-Server. 

[Linda] There will be many ETRs, which ETR should ITR send requests?  Does ITR send requests to all ETRs? 

That is same as TRILL's flooding to all egress edge nodes to resolve 

Thanks, Linda