Subject: [lisp] Kathleen Moriarty's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-12: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears the SecDir review didn't make it to LISP list for some reason.
 There is one important security request from Radia's review and many
other good suggestions.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg05415.html

Expanding the Security Considerations section would be helpful, here is
the background on the request:

There is a security considerations section, which focuses on a class of
denial of service attacks. There are presumably security considerations
sections in the other documents, including one that focuses entirely on
security, so it is not necessary that all security issues be brought up
here. That said, I think that if you were to write an "introduction to
security considerations", there are more important ones than the DoS
threat.
in particular, as a routing protocol care must be taken to make sure a
bad
actor cannot attract someone else's traffic with mechanisms like those
we
are trying to address with BGP security. Much of the routing information
is
maintained in a database "like DNS". If it *were* DNS, DNSSEC could be
used
to address the integrity issues. If it is home grown, some equivalent
mechanism will be necessary.  Why not use DNS?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do look at the other suggestions from the review as they should
help clarify a few points in the draft and provide the background needed
for an introduction draft.
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg05415.html