Subject: [lisp] Shepherd writeup on draft-ietf-lisp-threats-12

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 09:56:08 -0400

(This is an informational copy.  The writeup has been entered into the 
system.  I have used the informal writeup template.  Deborah, if you 
want the formal one used, I can redo it.)

Joel Halpern is serving as document shepherd for this document.  Deborah 
Brungard is the responsible Routing Area director, with Brian Haberman 
continuing to provide assistance from his role when the LISP working 
group was in the Internet Area.

This document review the kinds of security threats that arise when LISP 
is being used.  It discusses the kinds of attacks and mechanisms, so as 
to note clearly where LISP modifies the normal assumptions.   It then 
discusses particular attacks that can be mounted.  The document 
concludes with some general recommendations on deployment and 
configuration techniques that can ameliorate some of the attacks.

The document has going through multiple reviews and restructurings.  The 
current document is very clear and readable.  The documented is intended 
to provide information to the community, and does not modify the 
protocol nor mandate specific techniques.  As such, the working group is 
requesting that this be published as an Informational RFC.
In addition, there were multiple reviews by different people to ensure 
that the full range of threats were covered and accurately described. 
Finding the right wording was challenging, but was accomplished.

The shepherd has performed a final review, and agrees that this document 
is useful and ready for publication as an Informational RFC.

The authors have confirmed that all relevant IPR has been disclosed.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern