Subject: [lisp] New draft-ietf-lisp-crypto-03 update

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:57:53 -0800

Brian, Ilari, and I have put in some substantial time for this draft. Changes include:

B.1.  Changes to draft-ietf-lisp-crypto-03.txt

   o  Posted December 2015.

   o  Changed cipher suite allocations.  We now have 2 AES-CBC cipher
      suites for compatibility, 3 AES-GCM cipher suites that are faster
      ciphers that include AE and a Chacha20-Poly1305 cipher suite which
      is the fastest but not totally proven/accepted..

   o  Remove 1024-bit DH keys for key exchange.

   o  Make clear that AES and chacha20 ciphers use AEAD so part of
      encrytion/decryption does authentication.

   o  Make it more clear that separate key pairs are used in each
      direction between xTRs.

   o  Indicate that the IV length is different per cipher suite.

   o  Use a counter based IV for every packet for AEAD ciphers.
      Previously text said to use a random number.  But CBC ciphers, use
      a random number.

   o  Indicate that key material is sent in network byte order (big
      endian).

   o  Remove A-bit from Security Type LCAF.  No need to do
      authentication only with the introduction of AEAD ciphers.  These
      ciphers can do authentication.  So you get ciphertext for free.

   o  Remove language that refers to "encryption-key" and "integrity-
      key".  Used term "AEAD-key" that is used by the AEAD cipher suites
      that do encryption and authenticaiton internal to the cipher.

Thanks,
Dino/Brian