Subject: Malloc address block

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:55:18 -0800

I just saw that the following block of multicast addresses has
been assigned for dynamic allocation:

225.0.0.0-225.255.255.255  MALLOC (temp - renew 12/99)   [Handley]

Because people will start doing malloc experiments with this block
of addresses, I would suggest temporarily dividing the space across
different parts of the architecture to avoid any unwanted
intereference during debugging stages. For example:

225.0.0.0-225.0.255.255      Single host API experiments (without MADCAP)
225.1.0.0-225.1.255.255      Local experiments with MADCAP (without MASC)
225.2.0.0-225.127.255.255    Reserved
225.128.0.0-225.255.255.255  MASC experiments

Suggestions/comments?

Pavlin

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:41:06 -0800

> I'm not clear we need addresses from the global malloc space for the
> single host and local experiments.  Shouldn't they come from the
> local-scope range instead to ensure that local experiments don't clash
> with each other?

Yes, you are right. The above dividing will only prevent different
pieces of malloc interfering with each other, but the membership is
global (i.e. the mcast routing will not be stop at the borders).
So:

225.0.0.0-225.127.255.255    Reserved
225.128.0.0-225.255.255.255  MASC experiments

Pavlin

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:27:39 -0800

Also it's probably worth reserving 225.0.0.0-225.0.0.255 so that we
don't hash into the same Mac address as the link-local groups.
Although these groups should behave reasonably, it seems risky to use
them at the moment.

Cheers,
	Mark