Subject: Re: AAP discussion issues

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 16:48:24 -0500

Dave Thaler wrote:
> Steve Hanna writes:
> > Is Prefix Coordinator really the right name for the hosts that announce
> > the set of multicast addresses available for use within an allocation
> > domain? We don't require the addresses to be prefixes any more. Maybe
> > they should be called Address Coordinators. Or Domain Address
> > Coordinators.
> 
> I don't have a better suggestion, but I don't like Address C.'s or
> Domain Address C.'s since they imply single coordination of single
> addresses rather than ranges.  If they're ranges, then Address
> Range Coordinators might be appropriate.

I'm not sure I agree that Address Coordinator implies a single address.
Does Multicast Address Allocation Server imply a single address as well?
How about Multicast Address Domain Coordinator? I sorta like something
with domain in it, since it implies that this entity has responsibility
for managing the set of addresses available within the domain.

> > The old draft talked about MAAS's allocating from only one half of a
> > prefix if utilization is low in that prefix. I don't see how that will
> > work. There will probably be long-lived allocations all over the prefix.
> > And I don't think it is needed. A Prefix Coordinator can just extend the
> > lifetime of only part of the existing prefix.
> 
> I think that's what the old draft meant.  Extend the lifetime of
> half, and only make new allocations and renewals for addresses
> in that half.

OK.

> > Should we add start times to the ASA message so that Prefix Coordinators
> > can announce upcoming addresses?
> 
> My opinion: no, too much complexity.  At the domain level and above,
> there are currently no start times (on ranges).

Sounds good.

> > If so, should we let MAAS's allocate
> > addresses before their start times? And should we add something to ASA
> > that says "I'm working on these address requests, but these others are
> > right out." That would give MAAS's a way to give feedback to their
> > clients on address requests. I would be inclined to leave all of these
> > things for the future, when they can be added (via new message types).
> 
> I would be inclined to agree (leave them right out for now).

Great.

-Steve