Subject: Re: [Mobike] issue 19 -- same addresses for both directions?

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:42:38 -0400

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 10:29, Jari Arkko wrote:
> Of course, this does not necessarily have to be done.
> We could develop a protocol that provides independent
> addresses, yet would be controlled by the initiator.

I haven't seen a compelling scenario which requires a different
address-pair in each direction.

That said, "initiator decides" effectively means "initiator tells
responder which addresses the responder should use when sending" and may
be silent about what the initiator does when sending -- unless we
require the reciever to reject traffic to/from the wrong address pair.

So I think, given our resolution to #20, #19 becomes almost a local
matter on the initiator.

					- Bill

_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:36:03 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   How do you folks feel about this? Please post your
   comments by Friday, June 3rd.
   
=> note I consider that I am not bound by your short delays...

It seems we lost the basic idea: the only critical thing is the destination
address the peer uses to send packets to us, and we really need to control
it, this is why the option 3 for issue 20 is *not* the right one.
About issue 19, I believe:
 - an SA pair MUST be created with the same address pair (just to avoid
   to provide a way to do something else)
 - an SA pair SHOULD use the same address pair (this doesn't close the door
   and avoid a spurious requirement).

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: to come back to issue 20, it doesn't exist in my address set management
framework because it uses the option 2 (use primary address) initialized
by the addresses IKE runs over (i.e., without crazy filtering on the path
the address pair is proved to work by IKE itself :-). BTW I don't provide
a way to use different address pair per way, only per SA pair (which IMHO
is enough to support SCTP[-like] contexts).
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike