Subject: RE: [Mobike] Issue 35: Adding version number to MOBIKE_SUPPORTED

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:51:15 +0300

Tero Kivinen wrote:
>
> What is the reason NOT to add the version number? Saving 4
> bytes now, but wasting lot later? (or saving paragraph or two
> describing how version number and extensions work together,
> i.e. say that all later versions much include all features of
> the older ones, and newer versions should not use the features
> other peer does not unrestand).

I think it's more likely that we'll have extensions that are 
(to some degree) independent of each other, and don't follow a 
nice linear progression where each new version includes all 
features from the older ones.

If that happens, adding a version number will waste bytes
instead of saving them. (But predicting the future is of course
difficult, so it might be so that we'll have linear versions
instead. Or we might not have many versions at all.)

If we really want to keep this option open, we could of course
say that "hosts implementing this version don't send any
data in the notification, but ignore any data they receive".

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike