Subject: RE: [Mobike] Issue 24: NAT prevention details (was: Review ofdraft-ietf-mobike-protocol-00)

From: "Pashalidis, Andreas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:55:56 +0200

Hi all,

Regarding the naming of labels.
IMHO, one cannot "prevent" a NAT (from being on a path).
What one can do is *detect* the presence of a NAT, and,
then, possibly *avoid* it (or, more precisely, avoid the
continuation of the session).

In terms of policies, one cannot have a policy that "prevents"
NATs (from being present on a path). Instead, one can have 
a policy that mandates the *avoidance* of paths on which
NATs have been detected.

I believe that naming the labels using the above terms 
is more intuitive than using the term "prevention".

Regards,
Andreas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:02 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Mobike] Issue 24: NAT prevention details (was: Review
ofdraft-ietf-mobike-protocol-00)

Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
> 
> <LD> The labels NAT_PREVENTION, NAT_PREVENTED are confusing.
> For a little while I thought they are the same, but realize
> they are different.  NAT_PREVENTION seem to mean that the
> sender is guaranteeing/indicating that there is no NAT.
> Perhaps, NAT_NOTSUPPORTED or NAT_ABSENT or something like that
> might be more appropriate.  Instead of NAT_PREVENTED,
> NAT_PRESENT or NAT_DETECTED might be more appropriate.  The
> Initiator then can compare its claim from its state that
> NAT_ABSENT against NAT_PRESENT to detect that its claim is
> incorrect.  </LD>

Hmm... here the sender of the NAT_PREVENTION payload (initiator)
is informing the responder that its policy is not to use paths
that contain NATs. If the responder notices that a NAT is
present anyway, the request fails with error code NAT_PREVENTED.

But maybe we could figure out better names for these payloads.
How about "NAT_PREVENTION_FAILURE" instead of "NAT_PREVENTED"?
It would perhaps tell more clearly that it's an error
indiciation?

Or NO_NAT_POLICY and NAT_POLICY_ERROR?

Best regarts,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike