Subject: [Mobike] comments on draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-01.txt

From: Shinta Sugimoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:39:26 +0900

Hello,

I read draft-ietf-mobike-protocol-01.txt and had following
comments/questions.

Technical Comments/Questions:

- Section 2.3 (Changing addresses in IPsec SAs) I need clarification
  on how address change functions in MOBIKE. First of all, does
  UPDATE_SA_ADDRESSES take effect on more than one address changes ?
  Or it's supposed to update a single address ? Probably I am confusing
  the purpose of UPDATE_SA_ADDRESSES and ADDITIONAL_*_ADDRESS.
  In my understanding, UPDATE_SA_ADDRESSES is for updating the preferred
  address, which means that IKE_SA and IPsec SA (only matched one)
  are the target of the address update. OTOH, ADDITIONAL_*_ADDRESS is
  for updating (requesting its peer to update) the peer address set.
  Do I get it right?
  One more question: Should the initiator make all the CHILD_SAs
  inactive which are associated with the IKE_SA whose "pending_update"
  flag is set ?
- Section 2.7 (NAT prevention), I also felt that better naming is
  needed for NAT_PREVENTED. Taking look at issue #24, I tend to agree
  that NAT_PREVENTED should be replaced with something like
  NAT_PREVENTION_FAILURE from which one can easily understand
  that it's an erroneous state (or failure case).

Editorial Comments:

- Section 2.3 (Changing addresses in IPsec SAs), 3rd bullet, it says
  "If there are outstanding IKEv2 requests, continues retransmitting
  them using the addresses in the IKE_SA (the new addresses)." It is
  unclear to me what the "outstanding IKEv2 requests" are.
- Section 2.4 (Updating additional addresses), the first sentence says
  "both the initiator and responder can send a list of additional
  addresses (in addition to the one used for IKE_SA_INIT/IKE_AUTH
  exchange) to the initiator in the IKE_AUTH exchange." It seems to me
  that the sentence is a bit paradoxical. IMHO, the phrase "to the
  initiator" can be eliminated.

Regards,
Shinta

_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike