Subject: Re: [Mobike] Issue 59 (was: protocol draft status and moving forward)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:13:53 +0200

Tero Kivinen wrote:

> Yes. People WILL misunderstand any text you put there.
> 
> If you do not want to add the text twice, then add the picture, not
> the text. Text is hard to parse when you are trying to implement
> things, and then you end up interpreting every hidden meaning before
> each word used.

Ok, how about this?

   The Notify Message Type for this message is TBD-BY-IANA8.  The
   notification data contains the IP addresses and ports from/to which
   the packet was sent.  For IPv4, the notification data is 12 octets
   long and is defined as follows:

                           1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !                      Source IPv4 address                      !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !                   Destination IPv4 address                    !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !          Source port          !       Destination port        !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   For IPv6, the notification data is 36 octets long and is defined as
   follows:

                           1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !                                                               !
      !                      Source IPv6 address                      !
      !                                                               !
      !                                                               !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !                                                               !
      !                   Destination IPv6 address                    !
      !                                                               !
      !                                                               !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      !          Source port          !       Destination port        !
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   The Protocol ID and SPI Size fields are set to zero.

(Note that I also re-arranged the fields: previously the order
was src ip, src port, dst ip, dst port -- this is the same
order they appear in the packet, and made the picture 
look nicer :-)

> > Is mentioning IPv6 some more helpful for the reader..?
> 
> Yes. I think it should be repeated also in the security considerations
> section, just to tell where this protection can be used. 

Ok, I copied the "This feature is mainly intended for IPv6 and 
site-to-site VPN cases, where the administrators may know
beforehand that NATs are not present." from 3.9 here.

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:30:48 +0200

> > things, and then you end up interpreting every hidden meaning before

That is fine. Even the picture (formula) I used would have been
sufficient, but this is even better... 

> beforehand that NATs are not present." from 3.9 here.

Good.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:53:40 +0200

Looks good to me. --Jari