Subject: [Mops] Last Call -- Minutes from MOPS at IETF 106 in Singapore

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 11:25:10 -0500

Hi,

I’ve copied the current state of the MOPS minutes below.  Assuming 
there are no objections, I will plan to post these on Tuesday, December 
3, 2019.

If there are errors or omissions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Leslie.

MOPs November 21 2019 - First MOPs WG meeting ever!
Alas, in conflict with TSVWG...
Chairs:  Leslie Daigle, Glenn Deen

No comments on agenda bash
Intro to WG

Review of Concrete work itmes
[15min] Draft of edge network operational considerations for streaming 
media
    - Jake Holland
    - draft-jholland-mops-taxonomy
    On milestone but not adopted

Key question: how to calculate the demand vs capacity in a way that will 
be useful for communicating today and archiving for posterity

    []
    [Jake] there is a mismatch between the maximum
    [Martin Thompson] try to break to where the capacity is important 
(last mile, core)
    [Dave Oran] is there a correlation between high demand and live 
data.
    [Glenn Deen] perhaps produce two charts, one for on-demand file to 
stream delivery and the other for live. different metrics are important, 
latency, BW,..
    [Jake] there is some trext about ABR in the document
    [Leslie Daigle] it seems there is interset in the content, need to 
see if this is a WG asopt.

    Action
    [Leslie] are we in favor of adopting
    [Leslie] Some hum for adopting low hum against it. 3 for in the 
jabber.

    [Aaron Falk] use known metrics.
    [Jake] will be happy to have co-authors.

Hum taken to adopt the document  - hum appeared to support adoption

### Updates from elsewhere

* Updates from other organizations' work
    - [15min] Sanjay Mishra - Streaming Video Alliance Labs initiative
    slide 3 is the list of the technical WGs
    SVA labs open source  slide 6 what they did so far in open caching

    [Leslie] did you provide feedback to the CDNI WG, not only brining 
new work.
    [Sanjay] the WG chiar are aware of what is happening in SVA.
    [Aaron] the slide colors are bad

    no more comments and questions

    - [5min] Glenn Deen -- reflections from SMPTE 2019

    Time synchronization is important
    [Roni Even]How to synchronize media from different sources e.g. 
different cameras with gos clocks. How is the media sent over the IP 
network and address the clock resolutions
    [Aaron] there is work in ITU on time solution. it is good if we can 
capture in MOPS the use case
    [Dave] data centers have more precise time and should be taken into 
account. use atomic clocks that are now cheap
    [Glenn] there is no one way for  measuring or distributing time.
    [Aaron] what is the focus in Jake's draft, production ,...?
    [Leslie] on the edge side

    [Glenn] security and integrity of time distribution is important in 
this space and maybe an new area of work/focus
    [Aaron] capturing SMPTE operational use cases and issues around time 
in draft maybe useful

### General discussion of issues
* Operational Issues Observed
    - [15min] Igor Lubashev -- QUIC and streaming
    how to measure delay and loss when the inforamtion is encryptes 
(QUIC)
    [Spencer Dawkins] first time OPS WG discuss this topic and not in 
Transport. Why using similar TCP flow is not enough
    [Igor] TCP and UDP applications getting different treatment.
    [Bernard Aboba] this assumes similar streaming applications, need 
more detail to allow the network to support for example layered media
    Spin bit in QUIC V1; support for loss bits may be in a QUIC 
extension.
    Need feedback from operators about the need for such montoring 
tools, were not present in QUIC WG
    [Spencer] explict signalling does it involve the endpoint
    [Igor] yes.
    [Spencer] do not understand how you can measure without involving 
the endpoints. This is a good direction, wish we started years ago
    [Igor] QUIC is new and scaled up the problem
    [Colin Perkins] there is a draft in tsvwg about the effects of 
header encryptions, please review the part about the network managment
    [Sanjay] this is good, there was feedback from operators and will 
continue to follow
    [Saker] how do you do without involving endpoints, there is work in 
MOSQUE to add explicit signals using proxies
    [Emile Stephan] as operator require the monitoring of network, were 
involved in spin bit and now working on loss bit.
    [Spencer] there was the plus BOF in Berlin talkin about providing 
information to on path observers which could not form a WG.
    [Emile] do not provide the session keys to the observers. endpoint 
support is important
    [Colin] in conferencing video there is the RTCP for reporting ftom 
the Endpoint. using reports from endpoints can be helpful.

General discusion of issues

[Eric Vyncke, responsible AD] happy with the session

AOB

Thanks to Roni Even for taking notes during the session.

High level summary as posted to Operations & Management wiki:

First meeting as a WG.  Discussion of draft-jholland-mops-taxonomy (edge 
network operational considerations for streaming media), and formal 
adoption as a WG work item.  Jake Holland would welcome a co-author to 
help move it forward.

Updates from elsewhere -- Streaming Video Alliance's use of CDNI 
protocol work; Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers 
(SMPTE) recent meeting highlights -- clear dependencies on reliable and 
granular time reporting in operations.

Issues for streaming operations -- overview of QUIC implications for 
networks streaming video.  There are extensions proposed in the QUIC WG, 
and operators interested in media delivery should go there to weigh in.

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------