Subject: [MSEC] MSEC review: current status & schedule

From: Thomas Hardjono <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:51:23 -0500

Folks,

We are half-way through MSEC's time-schedule, and I am somewhat
concerned that we will not be on time with our list of deliverables.

I think meeting deadlines are a good thing, though understandably
certain drafts may lag behind.  Independent of individual drafts,
I think MSEC should try to meet its final deadline of December 2002.

When we asked for the creation of the MSEC WG it was made clear
that Working Groups have a defined life-span.  In the case
of MSEC, I understood this to mean Dec 2002, at which time the WG
has to disband or recharter.

The MSEC charter was written to be specific in its schedule
of deliverables:

(1)  An informational RFC describing the security requirements
      and problem-space for group and multicast security for
      one-to-many communications.
      This RFC will be based on draft-irtf-smug-taxonomy-01.txt.

(2)  An informational RFC that specifies the overall framework
      for the solution. This includes specifying the general
      functionality of the building blocks and their inter-relations.
      This RFC will be based on draft-irtf-smug-framework-01.txt.

(3)  RFCs detailing the structure and functionality of each
      building block.
      These RFCs will be based on:
        - draft-irtf-smug-data-transforms-00.txt
        - draft-irtf-smug-gkmbb-gsadef-01.txt
        - draft-irtf-smug-mcast-policy-01.txt

(4)  Standards-track RFCs describing specific protocols that
      instantiate each one of the functional building blocks.
      At least one protocol for instantiating each building block
      will be standardized.
      Some of these RFCs will be based on:
        - draft-irtf-smug-gdoi-00.txt
        - draft-harney-sparta-gsakmp-sec-02.txt
        - draft-irtf-smug-tesla-00.txt

I think items (1) and (2) is mostly written and are architectural
in nature, thus not too burdensome.

Item (3) refers to the so called "building block" drafts.
Out of the smug-drafts listed in item (3), the gkmbb-gsadef draft
has been carried-over into the new GKM architecture draft
(ie. draft-ietf-msec-gkmarch-00.txt).  The issue of whether
a separate Re-Key protocol is needed and how to document it, still
needs to be clarified.

The Group Policy material still needs further work, with the
latest draft being the Group Security Policy Token (GSPT).
As far as I know, the Data Transforms draft (smug-data-transforms)
has expired.

Item (3) refers to "instantiations" of the building blocks,
in the form of actual protocols:

- The GDOI draft is current, and I am told that implementations
   are almost done.

- The GSAKMP draft is up to date, and a Lite version has been
   published.

- The TESLA draft has not been submitted as an MSEC draft (as far
   as I know).

The following is the schedule as of Nov01:

Nov 01	Initial Drafts on protocols for instantiating the
	functional building blocks (item 4 above).

Dec 01	IETF-52: Presentation of protocol drafts.<------ WE ARE HERE

Feb 02	Complete building-block drafts WG Last-Call and
	submit as Proposed Standard.
Mar 02	Second Review of protocol drafts.
Jul 02	Third review of protocol drafts.
Dec 02	Final review of protocol drafts.
Dec 02	Complete protocol drafts WG Last-Call and
	submit as Proposed Standard.
Dec 02	WG disband or re-charter for other work items.

cheers,

thomas
------

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec