Subject: [MSEC] applications and motivation for mcast and group security

From: Roger Khazan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:51:47 -0500

I've been reading a lot about multicast and group security and I am
having hard time finding information about specific applications and
motivation, especially for decentralized solutions. One application
that comes to mind is group chat and shared collaborative workspace.
But there must be others...

I am wondering if people could share with me their thoughts and
knowledge about *specific* applications that require multicast
security and group security. Also, which specific applications require
(or can benefit from) *decentralized* key agreement solutions? Which
ones assume *centralized* solutions? I am looking for both
single-sender and multi-sender applications. Don't limit yourself to
collaborative applications; maybe there are some involving sensors or
multicast tree management, or some military applications? I am looking
for specific descriptions, not just general areas.

Are there systems *deployed in the world* today that utilize multicast
and group security?  Which ones? Which schemes do they use?

Are there examples in the past where we did not have group security in
place, but we wish we did? I'd like someone to make a compelling case
why all this stuff is necessary. If you work on designing group
security schemes, which big problem are you fixing?

Which prototype systems have been implemented and are available for
download and/or purchase?

Once I get responses from individual contributors, I will compile this
information and either send it to the list or provide it to the
individual contributors. Or, you can post your responses to the list.

Thank you,

Roger Khazan
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec