Subject: [MSEC] Question regarding public Key padding types.

From: "Christian Beaulieu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:06:53 -0500

We are looking at the public key payload at the moment and we are
wondering something.

In a certificate, from what we have found the public key itself is by
default used with PKCS 1 v1.5 padding. 

In the payload description it states that the algorithm used is implicit
from that defined in the certificate.

We haven't found a way to specify another padding type for RSA public
keys. I believe there must be a way since it specifically states that
PKCS OAEP padding can be used or are we just misled.

Thank you in advance.

Christian.

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:34:45 -0800

Hi Christian,

Christian Beaulieu wrote:

> In the payload description it states that the algorithm used is 
> implicit from that defined in the certificate.
>
> We haven’t found a way to specify another padding type for RSA public 
The latest version of the document 
(draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-signatures-04.txt) describes the use of PKCS 1 
v1.5 padding. However, reviewers have suggested that PKCS PSS padding 
should be used instead, so you should consider actual padding type to be 
undecided until the next version is released.

Brian

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Christian.
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

-- 
Brian Weis
Advanced Security Development, Security Technology Group, Cisco Systems
Telephone: +1 408 526 4796
Email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec