Subject: [MSEC] [Fwd: Cross-area msec query: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-00.txt]

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:31:55 -0400

Hi all,

Here is a request from Gorry F chair of IPDVB.  That WG is currently 
considering a new I-D, 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-00.txt, 
that suggests the use of MSEC protocols for key management, and 
therefore the chair is requesting a security review from MSEC.  Ran 
requested that the I-D be presented to MSEC at the Paris meeting.  We 
welcome any comments/review on the document to the list.

thanks and regards,
Lakshminath

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Cross-area msec query: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:03:52 +0200
From: 	Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
To: 	Ran Canetti <[email-masked]>, Lakshminath Dondeti 
<[email-masked]>
CC: 	Russ Housley <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

Greetings,

I am the WG Chair of the ipdvb WG in the Internet Area. As a part of the
work of this WG, we have defined an IETF Standards-track encapsulation
(currently with the IESG):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt

This encapsulation is intended for use with wide-area broadcast
wireless/satellite links. We resisted the pleas to add mandatory link
encryption when this was defined, but provided an extension mechanism in the
L2 protocol header. The document below was recently received by the ipdvb WG
and proposes use of a ULE extension mechanism to provide L2 security - but
using msec key management.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-00.txt

I have scheduled a 15 minute slot to discuss this issue at the next IETF
within ipdvb (this is *NOT* currently a chartered action of this WG, but the
work on ULE extension headers may naturally reside in ipdvb).

I am anxious to get additional security expertise on reviewing this first
input, to see if this heading in the best direction. I think some visibility
within "msec" would be really useful. Do you think a couple of slides would
be helpful within the msec meeting?

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipdvb-charter.html 

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec