Subject: [MSEC] MSEC status update request

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:43:11 -0800

Hi all,

MSEC made some progress between Vancouver and now:
   * Policy Token spec finished IETF LC and will be on the IESG agenda soon.
   * Bootstrapping TESLA spec just cleared the final DISCUSS and an 
approval announcement should be out soon.

That's pretty good progress during the holiday season.  Many thanks 
to the authors of those two documents, Andrea, Uri, and Hugh, and 
Steffen and Hannes for quick turnaround on the revisions and to Russ 
for quick reviews and action.

Looking forward to the Dallas meeting, I'd like to get a quick status 
update from the authors of the current contributions (I will be 
sending individual requests following this email), and also notes on 
any plans for new contributions for presentation at the Dallas 
meeting.  We have a few milestones to meet between now and Dallas and 
we need to make all efforts to meet them.

thanks and regards,
Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Tommy Chan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:19:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,
I have a few questions. Hope that someone could help
me to clear my doubts.

1. How the users know the existent of the group
controller in the first place? In a distributed
design, does it mean that a user know all the GCs? So
in this case, how the user know which GC should he
contact?

2. How can a GC ensure that all users receive the
rekey information in a timely manner? (Refer to GSA -
Catergoty 2 SA). 

Cheers.

___________________________________________________________ 
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Hugh Harney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:21:23 -0500

Hi,

I can't speak for all of MSEC, but I can try to give you a better idea 
of how GSAKMP dealt with the issues you raised.

  1) Discovery of the group was left out of the GSAKMP specification 
because
  there are so many ways that could be accomplished. The most common are
  email, web servers, announcement protocols...

  We did specify the information that should be distributed during that
  discovery process - namely the GSAKMP suite information that would
  allow you to attempt to join the group.

  2) What your asking is how do we provide reliable communications of a
  multicasted message. The answer is we don't. We (GSAKMP) do provide an 
approach
  to help with the problem (multiple transmissions of the Rekey message).
  We also provide timeout counters that are configurable to ensure that
  the group stays within a secure state, given the probability that
  someone will not get the rekey. If a member fails to get the rekey
  message there are several potential things that can occur. 1) they get
  the retransmission of the rekey message, 2) the group key changes and
  they are dropped from the group then they rejoin the group, or 3) they
  get the rekey message sent to them via an unspecified service.

vr

hugh

> rekey information in a timely manner? (Refer to GSA -
Hugh Harney							Sparta, Inc.
[email-masked]						7075 Samuel Morse Drive
(410) 872-1515 x203					Columbia, MD, 21046
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec