Subject: Re: [MSEC] MSEC and IGMP

From: "Qin Ke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:47:18 +0800

Hi,Prashant Pillai:

I have asked the same question and following is Mark Baugher's explain: 

"GKMP is the ancestor of IETF group key management protocols, which I  
think Hugh and others would say has been superseded by GSAKMP.  There  
are a number of differences, but to me one of the most important  
difference is that GSAKMP supports efficient revocation of receivers  
who leave or are removed from the secure group.  GDOI has a subset of  
the features of GSAKMP and is distinguished by the fact that it uses  
ISAKMP headers and extends IKE for group security.   The ISAKMP and  
IKEv1 specifications both said that their protocols would support  
extension by means of a "Domain of Interpretation,"  hence the name  
"Group DOI."  Personally, I thought IKEv1 was really an ISAMKP DOI as  
is GDOI.  (IKE v2 abandoned the DOI concept.)  I also think that GDOI  
and GSAKMP are better suited to large-scale broadcast, multicast, and  
multi-unicast; by "large scale," I mean hundreds or more.  Like the  
other two, MIKEY pushes a key and can be used for groups, but MIKEY  
is optimized (i.e. makes security tradeoffs) to minimize the message  
exchange to one, two or three messages, which is considered to be a  
requirement for teleconferencing.  I'd say that MIKEY is suited to  
smaller groups such as a teleconferencing session as opposed to a  
video broadcast."	
 
　	　　　　　　　Qin Ke
　　　　　　　　[email-masked]
　　　　　　　　　　2006-03-15
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec