Subject: [MSEC] MSEC summary ... for review

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:24:47 -0700

+++++++

MSEC is making progress at a decent clip, although we'd like to 
accelerate a bit to meet the milestones.

IPsec extensions work is almost finished.  A revision is expected in 
the next few weeks and we will finally be ready to send it to the 
IPsec list for review.  One of the things that has been done is to 
remove the topic of Composite Groups which is not quite central to 
that effort of extending 4301 for multicast.

MIKEY applicability work is in progress.  There is cross pollination 
of MIKEY work between MSEC and RTPsec now and that's good.

There is new work on Composite groups.  The idea is that the secure 
group comprises two or more groups that support different 
cryptographic properties.  We have a few folks who want to 
investigate this work and experiment with it.  If we have consensus 
for it, we'll make that a MSEC WG item.

RMT's NORM protocol security considerations are a priority for 
them.  They are considering IPsec and designing a transport layer 
security encapsulation mechanism for NORM protocols.  Data 
confidentiality and integrity are the requirements.  We have a 
TESLA-NORM work item already.  There is an exercise underway to 
figure out how best to address their requirement.  The interested 
parties were asked to produce a problem statement and results of 
analysis of whether using IPsec or designing a transport layer 
security mechanism makes sense.

Finally, we are working on finishing up the TESLA specification work.

++++++++

Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
MSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/msec