Subject: [MSEC] Comments on draft-ietf-msec-mikey-ecc-01

From: liangjing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:48:14 +0800

Hi,

After reading your draft, I still have a question about the ECDH use in
MIKEY.
As you have stated in your draft that to use ECDH and ECDSA signature
algorithm, this extension to MIKEY-DHSIGN may be combined with the extension
described in Section 2 , but my question is as you have used the signature
algorithm to generate the SIGi and SIGr, why not use this algorithm to
generate the TGK as well. One side of the communication party can choice a
random number as the TGK , and after encrypting it with the other side's
public key, both of them will get the TGK key quickly than using ECDH to
generate the key material of encr_key and auth_key and generate the TGK from
these keys.

Best Regards
Jing
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: "Eugene Chin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:16:12 -0400

>
> and after encrypting it with the other side's public key, both of them
> will get the TGK key quickly
>

Hi Jing,

Thank you for the review.

What you have described is actually MIKEY-ECIES.  To encrypt it with the
public key, we use the ECIES algorithm.  This is parallel to the MIKEY-RSA
case where we encrypt it using the envelope key.  Except with ECIES, the way
the algorithm is, the envelope key is not required.  I hope that answers
your question.

Thanks,
Eugene.