Subject: [MSEC] comments on using ECC algorithm on MIKEY

From: liangjing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:35:37 +0800

Hi, Eugene  **
Thank you for your reply explaining the various use of ECC algorithm.

Working with elliptic curves requires the generation of curve parameters,
which involves a complex procedure known as 'point counting'.

Your draft proposed the ECC groups given are among the fifteen groups that
NIST recommends in FIPS 186-2[FIPS-186-2].

I have a doubt that as the group parameters below are open to public , how
could it be secure if using large distributed computers to compute the value
of the operation i * P, and then figure out the secret value i based on the
KEi (i * P) and P which are public value in the message exchage.
i = <initiator secret value>
r = <responder secret value>
KEi = <initiator key exchange payload>
KEr = <responder key exchange payload>
Z = <raw shared secret>

And as I wrote a draft[draft-liang-msec-mikey-xtr-00] based on
the Diffie-Hellman key agreement protocol and RFC3830, but using the XTR
algorithm instead of ECC algorithm.

In cryptography, XTR is an algorithm for public-key encryption. XTR stands
for 'ECSTR', which is an abbreviation for Efficient and Compact Subgroup
Trace Representation.

It is a novel method that makes use of traces to represent and calculate
powers of elements of a subgroup of a finite field. It is based on the
primitive underlying the very first public key cryptosystem, the
Diffie-Hellman key agreement protocol.
>From a security point of view, XTR is a traditional discrete logarithm
system: For its security it relies on the difficulty of solving discrete
logarithm related problems in the multiplicative group of a finite field.
Some advantages of XTR are its fast key generation (much faster than RSA),
small key sizes (much smaller than RSA, comparable with ECC for current
security settings), and speed (overall comparable with ECC for current
security settings).
I wonder if this algorithm is suitable if you have any comment please let me
know.

Best Regards
Jing
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec