Subject: [MSEC] question about usage of each protocol

From: Shoichi Sakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:36:57 +0900

Hi all,

Before closing this WG, though I am not sure that members want to do so,
please let me ask members in this WG.

>From the first sentence of the charter:

    The purpose of the MSEC WG is to standardize protocols for securing
    group communication over internets, and in particular over the global
    Internet.

There are four different core protocols (GSAKMP, GDOI, MIKEY, GKDP) so far.
My simple question is what protocol should be used, and what situation it
should be used in ?  I admit that it is obviously clear that there are so
many environment of users.  So four protocols are going to be standardized.
I think that each specification should define the target itself, otherwise
users must be confused and misuse it.  That is not for global internetworking.

The MIKEY's document seems clarifying its target.  However others don't seem so.
At least, this WG or the authors have to specify advantages/disadvantages
of the protocol and the target.  I believe that it is one of the important
tasks for a WG in the IETF to make systems to be interoperable, and to be usable.
Otherwise a standardization is not needed, is it ?

Please correct me if my understanding is not correct.

Regards,

_______________________________________________
MSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/msec