Subject: [MSEC] question about usage of each protocol

From: Shoichi Sakane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:36:57 +0900

Hi all,

Before closing this WG, though I am not sure that members want to do so,
please let me ask members in this WG.

>From the first sentence of the charter:

    The purpose of the MSEC WG is to standardize protocols for securing
    group communication over internets, and in particular over the global
    Internet.

There are four different core protocols (GSAKMP, GDOI, MIKEY, GKDP) so far.
My simple question is what protocol should be used, and what situation it
should be used in ?  I admit that it is obviously clear that there are so
many environment of users.  So four protocols are going to be standardized.
I think that each specification should define the target itself, otherwise
users must be confused and misuse it.  That is not for global internetworking.

The MIKEY's document seems clarifying its target.  However others don't seem so.
At least, this WG or the authors have to specify advantages/disadvantages
of the protocol and the target.  I believe that it is one of the important
tasks for a WG in the IETF to make systems to be interoperable, and to be usable.
Otherwise a standardization is not needed, is it ?

Please correct me if my understanding is not correct.

Regards,

_______________________________________________
MSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:45:44 -0700

hi,
   The major functional differences between GSAKMP and GDOI are that  
GDOI uses an ISAKMP header, uses an IKE Phase 1 security association,  
and is suitable for implementation using an IKE code base.  I think  
it's fair to say that GSAKMP has some additional functionality over  
GDOI in the area of policy.

Mark

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:45:44 -0700

hi,

Mark

---

From: Hugh Harney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:12:56 -0400

To be a bit more specific:

GSAKMP sends a policy token to ensure coordination of the group  
protections and access control mechanisms. GSAKMP also incorporates a  
distribution of operation concept with subordinate group controllers.

Hugh Harney							
Technical Director IA Research
[email-masked]
(443) 430-8032
(443) 430-8181 fax

Sparta, Inc.
  7110 Samuel Morse Drive
Columbia, MD, 21046

On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Mark Baugher wrote:

> GDOI uses an ISAKMP header, uses an IKE Phase 1 security  
> association, and is suitable for implementation using an IKE code  
> base.  I think it's fair to say that GSAKMP has some additional  
> functionality over GDOI in the area of policy.
>
> Mark
>

---

From: Hugh Harney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:12:56 -0400

Hugh Harney							

Sparta, Inc.
  7110 Samuel Morse Drive
Columbia, MD, 21046