Subject: RE: WG next steps

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:52:07 -0800

> Andrew Partan wrote:
> is dead. If I announce just the area A aggregate,
> then I am giving free transit to everyone in area A.

Nobody cares about this if the free transit you provide represents 0.1%
of your total traffic (not to mention the fact that your competitors
would likely give you back 0.05% anyway for the very same reason.

Michel.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:17:33 +0859 ()

Michel;

> would likely give you back 0.05% anyway for the very same reason.

Why, do you think, the competitor have its own transit, even though
there is a free one?

Bandwidth limitation does not work.

Suppose there are adjacent geographical areas A and B. A provier
has comtomers in both areas and has backbone betwen them.

Another provider having costomers only in area A has no reason
to connect A and B by itself.

Then, who connect people in A and B?

Note that if there is bandwidth limitation imposed by the former
provider, the latter provider has no way to announce people in
B alternative longer route from B to A with better bandwidth,
unless addresses in A is unaggregated.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: Andrew Partan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:53:16 -0500

> would likely give you back 0.05% anyway for the very same reason.

It means that if there is one provider that connects to A and B,
then no-one else in A or B needs to buy transit between A & B as
that one provider will have to provide it.  That will not fly.

It means that some small provider only in area A does not need to
buy transit at all.

I, as a large ISP, will only give transit if at least one end pays
me.  Who is going to pay me?
	--asp

---

From: "Robert J. Rockell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:25:43 -0500 (EST)

->> Andrew Partan wrote:
->> is dead. If I announce just the area A aggregate,
->> then I am giving free transit to everyone in area A.
->
->Nobody cares about this if the free transit you provide represents 0.1%
->of your total traffic (not to mention the fact that your competitors
->would likely give you back 0.05% anyway for the very same reason.

I care very much.  CapEx with no associated revenue (even if you can make
the arguement that it all comes out 'in the wash') is not going to fly with
the companies left in business today...

->
->Michel.
->
->