Subject: RE: The state of IPv6 multihoming development

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:10:56 -0800

> Tony Li wrote:
> The competition will drive down cost.  And those folks
> who find net access to be a requirement for their daily
> lives, such as telecommuters, may well decide to MH.
> We see this already with certain netgeeks today.

I could not agree more. Although I get very good DSL service, I would
spend another $30 or $40 a month if there was a solution.

> Also, small businesses are also candidates for MH.

I have installed several small businesses that now process their credit
card transactions over the web. What we do for these is typically a
cable or dsl to backup the T1, egress only; it's only a matter of time
before these guys need a real multihoming solution too.

> Make sense?

To me, completely.

Michel.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:23:01 +0100

> before these guys need a real multihoming solution too.

It clearly makes sense for small businesses, which gets you into
the realm of tens of thousands of MH customers in a metro area. But I
still have difficulty seeing it for domestic customers by the million.
From what I see, they have enough trouble dealing with one ISP.

Of course, an MH solution that would scale to millions per metro
would be nice to have. 

   Brian