Subject: RE: network controls are necessary

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 02:06:09 -0800

|   Some applications need to see more than just the host name. 
|   If we are
|   going to build something where a host can have several 
|   addresses tied to
|   several paths with different properties (fast/slow, secure/insecure,
|   free/cheap/expensive), applications will want to make selecting
|   addresses their business.

Yes, but should the application have the details about the locators?  Or
should it specify its properties and then let underlying systems choose?

For the sake of a loosely coupled system, I'd say that the applications
shouldn't ever worry about locators.  And this is regardless of whether
the host is implementing the policies or the SBR.

|   Currently, IPv6 doesn't support backwards compatibility with
|   applications that use the traditional socket API. The past 
|   three days
|   I've been trying to find a web browser with IPv6 support for my new
|   iBook, so I think I've earned the right to say there aren't 
|   enough IPv6
|   applications yet that breaking those is a big issue. 
|   However, if we go
|   down the path of requiring applications to change, we 
|   should make very,
|   very, very sure this is a one time thing and we build in 
|   everything we
|   need for IPv6 - IPv15.

How big will identifiers be in IPv9 and do you want to hard code that
into your application?  Ans: make it opaque.  The application asks for
a connection to a hostname only.

Tony

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:31:05 +0100 (CET)

> the host is implementing the policies or the SBR.

This would be the diffserv paradigm rather than an address selection
paradigm. Do we have enough information to make this choice at this
time?

> |   However, if we go down the path of requiring applications to change, we
> |   should make very, very, very sure this is a one time thing and we
> |   build in everything we need for IPv6 - IPv15.

> a connection to a hostname

Yes! Can we all agree on this?

> only.

The application probably wants to include some additional information,
such as the type of service that it needs/wants. Also, we may want to
consider including a name space or address family identifier. That would
make using IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as identifiers more easily backward
compatible and knowing the nature of the host name makes selecting the
right name to address mapping service easier.

Iljitsch