Subject: Re: Site local

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:04:49 +0100

>> ..I am behind on email due to flu but one thing I haven't figured out
>> in this "GUPI" thread....what would be the difference to the PIs we
>> have today? Aren't we trying to work around RIR policy with address
>> architecture?
>
> Firstly, we have no PIs today in IPv6. If you're referring to pre-CIDR
> IPv4 prefixes, I think the difference is that people believe the 
> scaling
> issues with the DFZ will severely limit the ISP's ability to route
> non-aggregatable IPv6 prefixes, however much money they are paid to do
> so

I was actually referring to IPv4 PI space. That is not necessarily 
pre-CIDR, you can still get it.

You are right in saying that it will affect the DFZ size, but that is a 
problem we are dealing with today as well. Notice that there are around 
14000 ASes, assume they are all LIRs they will all get a /32, that 
gives us 14000 routes. Then we have a scaling factor of ten to start 
with there already. More, I don't think that any of these solutions 
with PIs that are routed will come for free. There will be a cost from 
the operators for routing any of this.

- kurtis -