Subject: RE: Again no multi6 at IETF#56

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:29:10 -0800

Kurt,

|    > |    Agreed, the question is how fast?
|    >
|    >
|    > Faster than we can possibly accommodate.  Our job is to 
|    provide the
|    > technical leadership and be there with an architecture BEFORE the
|    > masses show up.  Because by then, it's too late.
|    
|    
|    Agreed, still we need to try and guess when that will be. Mostly 
|    because that will set the agenda. I would be interested in 
|    seeing what 
|    the trend curves for the IPv6 routing table looks like 
|    from the people 
|    monitoring these. But I am not sure if Geoff Huston or 
|    Gert During for 
|    example are on this list.

We are currently trying to hold people off from deploying v6 because
this issue is not closed.  If it was closed, if v6 really was a 
better architecture, if things actually worked, then we would have
been done a few years ago.  Consider: Windows has already adopted it,
most of the routers are well along the way.  All it takes is us
(the IETF community) telling folks that it's ready.  

So please don't set the schedule based on when people WILL show up.
If we wait for that point, then events will have overtaken us, we
will have lost control of deployment and the same old routing 
architecture will be too solidly ingrained for people to think
about moving.  We are already getting quite a bit of backpressure
on not changing anything related to v6 already.  This can only 
grow over time.

|    Maybe. But coming to that conclusion and consensus is also an 
|    achievement we have yet to make.

That's not something that we need to come to consensus on.  We 
need consensus on how we move forward.  Not how and where all of
the traps are.

Tony

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:19:26 +0100

Tony Li wrote:
...
> this issue is not closed. 

Who's "we" please? There's a fair number of people who certainly
aren't trying to do anything of the kind.

   Brian

---

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:15:30 +0100

> (the IETF community) telling folks that it's ready.

I have for a quite long time been saying that IPv6 currently does not 
give any advantage to IPv4 except longer addresses. Now, there is 
enough room for discussion for it's own mailing list so I guess that is 
somewhat off-topic.

> on not changing anything related to v6 already.  This can only

Agreed. The schedule have to be independent of when people will show up.

- kurtis -