Subject: RE: Architectural approaches to multi6

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:55:31 -0500

> 3: remove addresses from all places in the protocol stack above the IP
>    layer. If higher layers are unaware of addresses and the addresses
>    follow the topology, IP can route around failures by changing
>    addresses.

Wearing my IP stack product developer hat.  Errrrr maybe in the year
2050 if we start now.  The entire stack on end systems and routing code
on embedded systems I have worked with have addresses not only embedded
but permeated through all layers.  I see the vision but don't have to be
real here?

/jim

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:47:46 +0100 (CET)

> but permeated through all layers.  I see the vision but don't have to be

Yes, we have to be real at some point but not just yet. First we have to
determine if 3. has merit.

And I have reason to believe transition won't be as hard as it may seem
at first glance.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:14:47 +0100

> determine if 3. has merit.

We've been preaching against exposing addresses above the transport
layer since RFC 1900 (dated 1996) at least. Little has changed in the 
real world.

> And I have reason to believe transition won't be as hard as it may seem

Not sure I understand that statement.

   Brian

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:25:00 +0100

On dinsdag, maa 25, 2003, at 17:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Brian E Carpenter 

> layer since RFC 1900 (dated 1996) at least. Little has changed in the

As far as I can tell, most people/applications use names rather than 
addresses most of the time. The trouble is that protocols such as TCP 
use the addresses in the IP header in their processing. If we make 
these protocols look at something else (the FQDN, an address that's not 
in the IP header, ...) we are free to change addresses at any time 
without breaking sessions.

> Not sure I understand that statement.

Changing all references to addresses everywhere except in the IP layer 
is a huge undertaking. However, I think multihoming benefits can be 
achieved before this process has been completed.