Subject: Re: how many locators?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:26:03 -0600

On 13-nov-03, at 16:42, Christian Huitema wrote:

>> But in reality the average number of addresses for multihomers would 
>> be very close to 2, exactly because having many addresses would 
>> stress the selection mechanisms (that we have to come up with) too 
>> much.

> We should not make such assumptions. I have already seen hosts
> configuring many global addresses.

You are right of course. We shouldn't assume this, and it was in no way 
my intention to say the number of addresses _should_ be just two. It's 
just that the address selection problem is complex and having very many 
addresses really doesn't help. Removing known low quality addresses is 
the easiest way to optimize this.

> You have also to consider things like
> privacy extensions and temporary addresses -- addresses which, by the
> way, should never be placed in a database...

Yes. However, for the purposes of what we're trying to do we can 
usually aggregate different addresses with the same prefix and treat 
them as one address for optimization purposes.