Subject: Re: draft-savola-multi6-asn-pi-01.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:25:59 +0100

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> 
>     > From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
> 
>     > every branch which connects to ISPs has different addresses. This will
>     > be pure hell for network admins if they have offices in e.g. 100 or 200
>     > countries, but such is life, I guess... :)
> 
> And those 100-200 branches also have different street/mailing addresses,
> right? Which causes all sorts of grief in having to have 200 different kinds
> of pre-printed stationery with street/mailing addresses on it, etc, etc, etc.
> But people don't piss/moan/whine about it, because that's a fundamental
> aspect of street/mailing addresses.
> 
> The routing has to have "names" which are topologically significant. If
> people want a namespace which *doesn't* have those properties, because they
> find those properties *inconvenient*, then they can get off their tailbones
> and add one.
> 
> Harumph.

As a matter of fact, this is today's practice. The trouble is, that in order
to preserve a rational and uniform *internal* addressing plan, it is achieved
by using NAT at each ISP access point. The tricky bit is to achieve the
same effect without NAT and without horrendous address administration
busy-work.

Harumph also.

   Brian