Subject: delayed multihoming to lear-multi6-things-to-think-about?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:44:45 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Maybe we should add something like this around 2.3.4 ("Will your 
solution add additional latency?"), just to spell out a consideration 
pointed out earlier by me, Dave C., and others:

======
2.3.5 Can multihoming setup be delayed from session setup?

If the proposal induces overhead (added bytes in packets, or 
additional packets), is it possible to delay that overhead (or 
"multihoming set-up") to happen after the session has been 
established?

That is, is it possible to specify that multihoming benefits would 
only be achieved for sessions which last over XX seconds, to optimize 
away the cost of set-up for short-lived sessions?
======

makes sense?  IMHO, this is especially interesting for protocols which 
require more signalling than the original session startup, i.e., are 
not able to piggyback it on the existing packets.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings